Help me find a new air cleaner assembly!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
memsiej

Help me find a new air cleaner assembly!

Post by memsiej »

I've found this one
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl- ... ner=SREPD2

Or these- but don't know the specs I should be selecting.
https://www.autoanything.com/air-filter ... ir-cleaner

Any recommendations? Or links to other ones?
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

tgreese

Re: Help me find a new air cleaner assembly!

Post by tgreese »

What's your objective? Open element air cleaners are noisy - you'll hear the carburetor sucking air in the cabin - and your float bowl will dry out very quickly. DO you have the original air cleaner? Year, model, equipment?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

I have what I believe to be an original. 84 grand wagoneer v8 5.9. But the gasket inside the air cleaner is totally junked and the air cleaner itself just looks bad. I probably don't NEED a new one, but wondered about getting one.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Lid seal is pretty generic https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Cleaner-Li ... 1921880816

JMO - an attractive air cleaner is not very high on my priority list. The OEM air cleaner has a provision for cold air induction (good, cold outside air is denser than hot under-hood air and that's a slight performance boost), warm air induction for cold starts and in cold weather (helps with cold weather drivability and helps prevent carburetor icing) and seals tightly when the engine is off (keeps fuel in the float bowl from evaporating, making "dry bowl syndrome" less likely). There's a lot to like about the factory air cleaner.

I suspect any performance boost you will get from an open-element air cleaner will be very minor, and you'll lose all the features I listed above.

Good to put the year, model, equipment in your sig. Then you don't have to add it to every post - it will always be there.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Good idea! Thanks for the air cleaner input, too.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

One thing you might consider is a K&N replacement air filter element. The lower air resistance of the K&N will give you a slight performance boost, likely equal or better than the open element air cleaner. However, I have seen quantitative evidence (oil analysis) that shows they filter fine particulates less well than a conventional paper element. This is seen in the oil as a higher silica content. May not be an issue if you stay on the pavement all the time.

Another possibility is a foam wrap for your existing paper element. This is what I have on my Jeeps. The oil-soaked foam wrap will remove the large particles and, in dusty conditions, you can remove, clean and oil the foam wrap many times before you need to replace the paper element. In the '70s, Jeep supplied a foam wrap with the paper element from the factory. I don't know if this continued to the '80s but it's a great setup if you operate in dusty conditions frequently.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:I have what I believe to be an original. 84 grand wagoneer v8 5.9. But the gasket inside the air cleaner is totally junked and the air cleaner itself just looks bad. I probably don't NEED a new one, but wondered about getting one.
window strip insulation...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

I have used 14" chrome top air cleaner you can have for $10 plus the ride...... It will also fit a Holley aftermarket carb...!!
Just LMK
1979 J20, 360 w/NV4500/D300 Twin Stick/3.73 SOLD
1978 Cherokee Chief W/T Levi interior, 360 Q/T. SCRAPPED
1970 Gladiator J4800 Camper Special, Buick 350, 4spd. SOLD

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

letank wrote:
memsiej wrote:I have what I believe to be an original. 84 grand wagoneer v8 5.9. But the gasket inside the air cleaner is totally junked and the air cleaner itself just looks bad. I probably don't NEED a new one, but wondered about getting one.
window strip insulation...

genius.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I went to an edlebrock open air cleaner... much cleaner got rid of all those vacuum lines and clutter ect... Never had issues starting or running in winter or summer... So yea
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

:) Engine Masters did an episode on air cleaners and found a salad bowl and K&N style lid type air filter worked as well as any

letank

Post by letank »

some people have reported that K&N filters allow too much dirt to go unfoltered in the engine either in 4 wheel or 2 wheel engines, leading to ruined engines
Michel

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

letank wrote:some people have reported that K&N filters allow too much dirt to go unfoltered in the engine either in 4 wheel or 2 wheel engines, leading to ruined engines
4 wheel or 2 wheel engines?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

dodgerammit wrote:
letank wrote:some people have reported that K&N filters allow too much dirt to go unfoltered in the engine either in 4 wheel or 2 wheel engines, leading to ruined engines
ie: people that go in dirt AND people that live in the mall parking lot. He's saying that regardless of where you drive, the K&N filters have very large pores (as far as air filters go) and let larger particles through.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

letank

Post by letank »

dodgerammit wrote:
sorry for the lack of clarity, Jeep or motorcycle, but I like Anthony's interpretation of 4WD vs. 2WD at the mall. Indeed I see all these fancy jeeps in town with snorkle and super large tires... but doubt that they even hit a patch of dirt... Still driving on 15"
Michel

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeah, most of those overbuilt creations are simply a keeping up with the Jones' mentality. Most anyone would be well served by a decent and well maintained factory 4x4 with good tires. A winch and traction aides are the next step imo.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ive had a K@N Fipk gen 1 with a spectre filter (same as k@n) on my 5.9zj for like 6 years now.. clean the filter periodicly as it gets really dirty just driving around town.. Engine still runs like the day i got the Jeep 9 years ago.. same oil pressure.. and its at 200k almost.. Ive put 80k on it with the filter..

The intake manifold plenum plate is clean as well so i dont think those k@n filters do any harm to an engine.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

I've got K&Ns (and Spectres) on a few of my things as well, no complaints that I am aware of provided they're kept clean. One question I have: have you done, or seen anyone do, oil analysis tests with and without the rechargeable filters? The tests would have to be side by side on similar vehicles with only different filters for ~20k miles I would think to be really conclusive. Driven in the same environments, of course. It'd be hard to to do the test without maybe his and hers vehicles driven very similarly.

I have very little doubt that the rechargeable filters do let more stuff through, that's their purpose right? Whether or not that does any noticeable damage, I would have to see real evidence of.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Mmm. I have read an article on one of the diesel pickup forums that shows oil tests with K&N and paper. Same mileage, use etc. Equipped with paper, the oil did have a lower silica content. Whether that's significant I do not know.

Put a K&N wrap on a paper filter. Best combo for a Nevada Jeep that's used off-road, IMO. But this is more about filter life than efficiency - it will be more restrictive. What the off road racers did was double or triple the height of the filter element, to reduce the air velocity and the pressure drop.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

Very good point on the wrap, I use an amsoil reusable with the wrap... very good, but in the end I find it a pita to clean, dry and oil. I use some foam filter on the off-road bikes and same issues, but the bike filters are smaller so I have one on the bike and one clean one ready to be installed...

As usual, the squeaky voice gets the attention, the unhappy are heard, but the satisfied customers are silent

or go to the test section:
ISO 5011 Test:
The ISO 5011 Standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled. As Arlen learned in attempting his own tests, there are many variables that can adversely affect filter test results. A small temperature change or a small change in humidity can cause the mass of a paper filter to change by several grams.

To obtain an accurate measure of filter efficiency, it’s critical to know the EXACT amount of test dust being fed into the filter during the test. By following the ISO 5011 standard, a filter tested in Germany can be compared directly compared to another filter tested 5 years later in Rhode Island. The ISO 5011 filter test data for each filter is contained in two test reports; Capacity-Efficiency and Flow Restriction.

and the whole article found on the nissan owner club , nicoclub, mentioning test with filters for diesel duramax

http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Michel