Floor pans, well, lack there of!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
toothofwar

Re: Floor pans, well, lack there of!

Post by toothofwar »

So it's been a while since I have done some work on this thing, but the beautiful day today got me motivated. Finally finished the passenger side. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Next will be the drivers side and then the interior rebuild. I had forgot just how much rust was in it.... but, it's coming around. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

Looking good! I need to get started on ours.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Did you just tap weld it and use filler ? I woulda welded it inch by inch ina bead letting it cool down and working on another spot then used filler. Thats what i did.. but thats just me lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

On the door side I drilled and spot welded. But everywhere else I did small tack welds close together, moving from area to area to let it cool. I stitch welded the front do to having a little gap and I wanted to make sure it was strong enough. After it was welded in I used an industrial caulk (I'll get the name of it tonight) that was a freebie from a family member who is a painter. I will be using that caulk on all old and new seams to seal this old bird back up, then I have some 2 part industrial rubber I'll be pouring on the whole pan and fire wall area. Just a thin area to help seal and reduce noise and heat.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Great work-Definitely worth fixing. My rig is pretty rusty too but floors are ok. I'm just using a fluxcore welder. Is that what you're using?
My Stable:
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8, Auto, SelecTrac
1987 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), 4.0L I6, Auto, Selectrac
And a few more....

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Yup. I got a miller renegade with .030 fluxcore. When you get it set right it does pretty good. I am looking to put it on the bottle though. Haven't dedicated just yet. When this spool runs out I'll look into it.

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Good to hear-thanks. I think mine has a kit to make it into a MIG but money is tight ATM. I was a little nervous starting with fluxcore. I've got the same rust spots where the back seat deck and floor meet. Holes were right under carpet so I've pulled all my carpet out and am just working on removing all the A/C parts to get it all back to basics.
My Stable:
And a few more....

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

That back corner was a nightmare. Rusted up the wheel arch and up on the seat mounting area a bit. But all is fixable with a lot of time and patience! Lol

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

toothofwar wrote:On the door side I drilled and spot welded. But everywhere else I did small tack welds close together, moving from area to area to let it cool. I stitch welded the front do to having a little gap and I wanted to make sure it was strong enough. After it was welded in I used an industrial caulk (I'll get the name of it tonight) that was a freebie from a family member who is a painter. I will be using that caulk on all old and new seams to seal this old bird back up, then I have some 2 part industrial rubber I'll be pouring on the whole pan and fire wall area. Just a thin area to help seal and reduce noise and heat.

I bead welded like 2 inchs then 2 inchs somewhere else.. but this was when i was 100% new to welding.. lol so i noticed pin holes in places.. So i used jb weld as a caulking to go around all my welds to seal all the holes. It looks exactly like what you did

This was back when i could get jb weld like giant tooth brush tubes for 20$.. i wasnt sure what the name of thr seam filler stuff they use from factory is.

Because factory i noticed alot of spot weld and they filled in the gaps with a rubber like seam filler

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

This is what I used on the seams. Let it cure for 24 hours then painted. This stuff bonds really well. I have almost a case of it so I will be doing all new and most of the old seams. Next up I'll need window seals and runners to keep the rain out. Image

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I guess I forgot to add in my painted final product pictures. The paint isnt exactly right, but it will get hid by the carpet, so I'm not really concerned with it. The local lowes had husqvarna orange implement paint on clearance for 2 bucks a can so I figured it would do the purpose quite well. At least till I get the base rubber poured in. ImageImage

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

Looks really good. Have you thought about carpet yet?
My Stable:
And a few more....

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Yeah. The carpet I pulled out was in great shape till a little accident with grinder sparks. Been looking at the ones from team grand wagoneer. Just dont know how much I want to do. Main thing now is sealing up the doors. Really need to repair or replace both doors. There is alot of rot along the bottom.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

orange is my fav color, i wish my wagoneer was orange but its black.. heard black is one of the more rare colors lol i dunno but it is the only one ive seen.. If i could id paint mine molten orange lol

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

So I got a little time off from work with it being slow, so I decided to fly in on the drivers side. Didn't get alot done, but got a really nice start for tomorrow. Was just getting the welder dialed in when the clouds opened up and drenched me and the tools. Got most of the rot cut out and will finalize the rest tomorrow. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

67GMC

Post by 67GMC »

I think those are the fuel lines you've uncovered so be careful! Nice straight lines for sure.
My Stable:
And a few more....

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Between the storms and this welder I only got things mocked up for now. I've got a couple of fiberglass blankets I'll be placing in strategic areas when/if I get to weld them in. The m-15 gun on my welder is toast so I have to order a new setup. Looks like a good time to order the carb also. Might as well fix the old welder up a bit while I'm at it. I did convert it over to solid core and a bottle though. I have to say, for the 10 minutes it ran, it was a new machine!. I always preferred solid over fluxcore anyways, but this is nice!

After I get the floors the way I want them, fenders and doors are next in the list. The brown cancer has overtaken them.... I'll be ordering the seal kit from bjsoffroad.com once I get the doors I want on her. Ugh......the list grows longer every day. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Finally had some time to get to the drivers side pans. Found a hole in the door jam area that I had to fab up also. That little spot was a nightmare to get right. Waiting for the firs coat of paint to dry to do a second coat then on the the carpet. Slowly but surely it's getting there. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Looks great man.. i still wish my jeep was that orange color...

Big Dan

Post by Big Dan »

Turned out great. I've had to do that on several Jeeps that I've owned and its definitely tedious, to say the least.
1989 Jeep MJ - 4.0, AX15 and C8.25 swapped in, 31x10.50
1997 Jeep TJ - 4.0, AX15, 33x12.50