Fuel pump question.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
UKJeeper

Fuel pump question.

Post by UKJeeper »

The fuel pump on my 360 has failed (blown diaphragm i'm guessing as the 'weep hole' sprays gas over the engine when cranking). Ordered a replacement mechanical pump, but found a Facet electric pump in my pile of old parts in the garage (taken off a previous SJ).

Considering putting this inline instead of the mechanical pump (running off a ignition hot wire, via relay), but had a couple questions.

a) The obvious mounting spot is as close to the tank as possible, so under the body. But was concerned about the possibility of our local weather (very wet, often having to drive through deep water, and mud) shorting out the pump.

b) I'm a cheap MFer + blanking plates for the mechanical pump on an AMC 360 aren't... common over here. So was considering just removing the arm from the failed pump and remounting it as a "dummy" unit instead.

Thoughts?
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 4 door (RIP)
'79 Cherokee 2 door (RIP
'82 Cherokee Chief
'91 YJ
Fiat Renegade...

jaber
Vendor

Re: Fuel pump question.

Post by jaber »

A block off plate is easy to fab, find an 1/8" peice of plate, lay the gasket on it and scribe the outline and bolt holes, and cut/ grind it to shape. Drill the holes and mount.

I live in the dessert, so I cant help with the rest... :P
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

letank

Post by letank »

No problems w water or mud. Did a few mud-water crossing, w the elect pump mounted in front of the transfer case. IIRC we reached the bottom of the rocker panels...
Make sure that you get the 4 to 6 psi pressure needed for our carbs.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Block off plate is same as some Chevy block off plate, IIRC. Probably < $20 at the parts store.

And it's CHROME!!! :- p
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Chevy big block plate = latest generation AMC V8 block off plate. Couple bucks from Summit or local parts house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

I've been using mechanical fuel pumps for 30+ years without any failures, but I think that's because I clean or replace my fuel filters regularly, any restriction in the draw side of the fuel system weakens that diaphram quickly. On my Wag I do have an electric pump mounted on the frame just ahead of the fuel filter, but not connected to it. I have a loop of fuel hose connected to its inlet and outlet to keep dirt out. In case the mechanical pump dies, it's a quick hose swap, and I flip a switch on the dash to turn the E-pump on, and away I go. Easy Peasy. Yes you can use the mechanical pump as a block off, just be sure to plug the inlet and outlet, and if you do decide to remove the pump arm, be sure the pivot pin holes are plugged tightly.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4