'74 Transmission

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
J10Jeeper

'74 Transmission

Post by J10Jeeper »

OK so I am in the need for some info and have a few questions.
For starters I bought a 1974 J-10 with the AMC 360 auto and have gotten it to run pretty decent. Then when I put it in gear I get nothing. I made sure tht the fluid was topped off and still nothing. Someone posted on my build thread that replacing the filter and flushing the fluid might help so I tried that too. nothing still.
So at this point I just need to get it moving around because the local Nazi agency (HOA) has given me a fine.
I am unfamilliar with these rigs and have never even really been in one until I purchased this one and obviously have a lot to learn. I don't really understand how this Quadra trac system works. (I am assuming that I have this since there is a hi/low shifter and auto hubs). I would probably like to get away from this and go to a normal tranfer case but without being properly informed I may just be jumping the gun a bit.
I am not sure if I have a transmission issue or a transfer case issue at this point and am not sure of the transmission type exactly. from what I have been able to find is that there is a TH400 GM trans that was widely used and it would seem that this would be a good fit for a truck that will need some extra oomff due to it's working nature. but once again I am unsure.
If there are other options that will work and are an upgrade I would go that route too since I am going to have to dig in deep anyway.
Sorry for the ramble but I truly could use a hand here as you can probably tell, any info helps.
Thanks in advance for any and all help you may have whether big or small
Chad

letank

Re: '74 Transmission

Post by letank »

check the modulator on the passenger side of the transmission, it needs intake manifold vacuum. Or the short cut is to plug the vacuum nipple on the modulator and it will move... in first gear.
Of course make sure that the quadra trac transfer case is fully engaged, high or low, if it was in an intermediate position you could roll the jeep. Sometimes it is easier to shift with the engine off... (CHOKE THE WHEEL) or crawl under and move the lever one way or the other.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

With the engine off pull the transfer case HI/LO range lever UP. It's just to the right of the drivers seat. Start engine, drive away. If everything is in working order it should be just that easy.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
J10Jeeper

Post by J10Jeeper »

letank wrote:check the modulator on the passenger side of the transmission, it needs intake manifold vacuum. Or the short cut is to plug the vacuum nipple on the modulator and it will move... in first gear.
Of course make sure that the quadra trac transfer case is fully engaged, high or low, if it was in an intermediate position you could roll the jeep. Sometimes it is easier to shift with the engine off... (CHOKE THE WHEEL) or crawl under and move the lever one way or the other.
Hmmm, I'll give this a look. the shift linkage is all in tact and moving.
thanks

Topic author
J10Jeeper

Post by J10Jeeper »

haminawag wrote:With the engine off pull the transfer case HI/LO range lever UP. It's just to the right of the drivers seat. Start engine, drive away. If everything is in working order it should be just that easy.
Yep tried every combination. running & not running shifts, High as well as Low range. There must be a bigger issue without a doubt.

thanks.
Last edited by J10Jeeper on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

With the motor running, foot on the brake, shift to drive then quickly back to park and see if there is a buzzing noise as it engages. If there is, tcase is toast.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
J10Jeeper

Post by J10Jeeper »

carnuck wrote:With the motor running, foot on the brake, shift to drive then quickly back to park and see if there is a buzzing noise as it engages. If there is, tcase is toast.
Awesome Tip!!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Just to be devil's advocate, I would not say "toast" but rather something is not right in the QuadraTrac. If this is the case, you should open the QT to see what is toast and what is soup. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I meant the problem is tcase and not trans related, UNLESS the output shaft of the trans is stripped off like mine. Another possibility is a diff might be blown, in which case one of the driveshafts will spin when in gear.

jongreve

Post by jongreve »

When I first got mine it wouldn't go. Transmission dipstick said I was full of fluid with the engine warmed up and in park. One day I got to screwing around and went ahead and dumped another quart of fluid in to see what would happen and magically it started engaging gears and moving again.

I'm not trying to say that you are in the same situation, just that these transmissions really are picky, and sometimes dipsticks lie (or aren't original)
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The filter "neck" can separate and suck air which can keep it from engaging too.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

J10Jeeper wrote:OK so I am in the need for some info and have a few questions.
For starters I bought a 1974 J-10 with the AMC 360 auto and have gotten it to run pretty decent. Then when I put it in gear I get nothing. I made sure tht the fluid was topped off and still nothing. Someone posted on my build thread that replacing the filter and flushing the fluid might help so I tried that too. nothing still.
So you get NOTHING? No grinding, no buzzing, no noises at all? Can you feel LO range engage when you pull up on the TC handle? HI range going down? Can you feel neutral on the TC when between the two? Is the TC lever connected?

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

So you get NOTHING? No grinding, no buzzing, no noises at all? Can you feel LO range engage when you pull up on the TC handle? HI range going down? Can you feel neutral on the TC when between the two? Is the TC lever connected?

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I'd also check the converter bolts didn't fly off.

Topic author
J10Jeeper

Post by J10Jeeper »

haminawag wrote:
Correct...Nothing. Everthing looks to be working and hooked up on the exterior (Linkage ETC) the only thing that happens is you can push it around after park. Kinda like all gears are in nuetral. New problem to me. Seems like a bang boom grrr or some other noise would come out but Nothing. :banghead: :banghead:

Topic author
J10Jeeper

Post by J10Jeeper »

I found a guy that has one that was rebuilt for 600 but I would rather not spend the $ just to find out it was the T case anyhow. That being said I am about ready to pull them both and dig in. It's just that time is important to get her driving around. And if I pull them it'll take a while to get them back together. I want to upgrade the T case to a 4:1 and Part time.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Weird! I'd be underneath that thing in about a heartbeat checking every linkage, the torque converter bolts (as mentioned earlier) the slip joint, it almost sounds like part of the shifter linkage came undone from the transmission, anyway I'd check EVERYTHING under there with a nice bright trouble light. It might turn out to be that one little cotter pin fell out. That'd be a drag to have dropped $600 and it was just a stupid cotter pin. But I've seen people pour big money into problems that had 20 cent solutions.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

If it locks in park and rolls when taken out, then the tcase isn't the issue. If the torque converter bolts are there and going an extra quart over full does nothing then it's the trans that is fubared.