Will this be a problem?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
gixxerphil

Will this be a problem?

Post by gixxerphil »

I have a 79 Waggie with the 360/th400/Quadratrac. The motor needs a rebuild and it needs some interior work. I have the chance to pick up a 1991 in excellent shape for $1500. The only problem is, it's the I6 or so I'm told...I thought they were the 360's(not sure as to trans/xfer case). Will the interior(dash, seats, etc.) swap over as far as bolt in? Will the drivetrain need modification to swap in? As in motor mounts welded in, etc?

I don't mind unbolting and bolting things in/out(my mechanic is giving me a great deal and teaching me a thing or two about the drivetrain, I can do the interior myself), I just have no ability to fab anything and don't really want to pay to have it done. I want to keep it as basic as possible.

Cassidy

Re: Will this be a problem?

Post by Cassidy »

As far as I am aware a 91 only came with a amc 360 engine Chrysler 727 transmission np229 transfercase
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

Cassidy wrote:As far as I am aware a 91 only came with a amc 360 engine Chrysler 727 transmission np229 transfercase

That's what I thought(I assume that will swap over no problem to my th400, etc). Do you have any idea about the dash being able to swap over without any fab?

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I know that the dash is different and the wiring also is not the same. That seats and stuff like that should be easy enough. It is all possible if you take all the parts you need from one to the other. The power and drive train should not be took bad with a little modification and elbow grease.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Are you sure it's the "Grand Wagoneer" and not the XJ Cherokee that was called the "Wagoneer" for a couple of years? The XJ would have a six, but the '91 Grand Wagoneer (same body style as the '79) only came with the 360 V8.

If it is a "Grand Wagoneer" with a six, there is a lot that's different between the six and V8 platforms. This is not a bolt-in swap. And the drivetrain changes a lot in 1980, with different axle drop, different transfer cases... 1980 was a watershed year for the Wagoneer.

Look for a '70s Wagoneer as a parts car.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

tgreese wrote:Are you sure it's the "Grand Wagoneer" and not the XJ Cherokee that was called the "Wagoneer" for a couple of years? The XJ would have a six, but the '91 Grand Wagoneer (same body style as the '79) only came with the 360 V8.

If it is a "Grand Wagoneer" with a six, there is a lot that's different between the six and V8 platforms. This is not a bolt-in swap. And the drivetrain changes a lot in 1980, with different axle drop, different transfer cases... 1980 was a watershed year for the Wagoneer.

Yeah, it was a XJ. I got a pic of it today.
I have a lead on a 76 with the same drive train and great interior(which I could really use) for about the same price of a rebuild on my 79 motor. I know the ignition system on the 76 isn't able to use the TFI upgrade. If I were to swap the motor from the 76, will I be able to use the ignition upgrade from my 79 that I just bought or will I be better off just rebuilding the 79 and looking for interior later?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

gixxerphil wrote:
tgreese wrote:Are you sure it's the "Grand Wagoneer" and not the XJ Cherokee that was called the "Wagoneer" for a couple of years? The XJ would have a six, but the '91 Grand Wagoneer (same body style as the '79) only came with the 360 V8.

Yeah, it was a XJ. I got a pic of it today.
I have a lead on a 76 with the same drive train and great interior(which I could really use) for about the same price of a rebuild on my 79 motor. I know the ignition system on the 76 isn't able to use the TFI upgrade. If I were to swap the motor from the 76, will I be able to use the ignition upgrade from my 79 that I just bought or will I be better off just rebuilding the 79 and looking for interior later?
Use all the ignition parts (distributor complete, harness, control module) on the '76 engine. Totally compatible. Don't use the '76 Prestolite distributor!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

tgreese wrote:Use all the ignition parts (distributor complete, harness, control module) on the '76 engine. Totally compatible. Don't use the '76 Prestolite distributor!

So I don't need to worry with the ignition and TFI upgrade I just bought for the 79(I was just under the impression it was a lot better than that of the 76)? Sorry, I've never fooled with anything this extensive(my mechanic is gonna do all the work and just let me help and learn about it). I've always just let a mechanic fix things. :banghead:

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

gixxerphil wrote:
tgreese wrote:Use all the ignition parts (distributor complete, harness, control module) on the '76 engine. Totally compatible. Don't use the '76 Prestolite distributor!

So I don't need to worry with the ignition and TFI upgrade I just bought for the 79(I was just under the impression it was a lot better than that of the 76)? Sorry, I've never fooled with anything this extensive(my mechanic is gonna do all the work and just let me help and learn about it). I've always just let a mechanic fix things. :banghead:
Not sure how to make this clearer... are you confused?

Use all the ignition parts from the '79 engine (distributor complete, harness, control module) on the '76 engine.

1) pull the '76 engine.
2) remove the '76 engine's distributor and throw it away.
3) remove the '79 engine's distributor and install it in the '76 engine.
4) swap in the '76 engine with the '79 distributor.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

tgreese wrote: Not sure how to make this clearer... are you confused?

1) pull the '76 engine.
Yes, I'm very confused :D
I'm just not sure if I can put the TFI upgrade on the 76 motor after I get it in my 79.

http://fsjeep.homestead.com/TFI_Upgade.html

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

gixxerphil wrote:
tgreese wrote: Not sure how to make this clearer... are you confused?

1) pull the '76 engine.
Yes, I'm very confused :D
I'm just not sure if I can put the TFI upgrade on the 76 motor after I get it in my 79.
Sigh.

Somehow you are missing the concept.

I'll let somebody else give it a shot. Maybe you could carefully reread what I posted, and that will help.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

tgreese wrote:
Sigh.

Somehow you are missing the concept.

I'll let somebody else give it a shot. Maybe you could carefully reread what I posted, and that will help.
Thanks for trying to help. This is all completely new to me. I'll just let the mechanic deal with it.

I'm just not sure if the TFI uprade will be an option after I put the 79 distributor on the 76 motor.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

The 76 and the 79 block, heads, and probably intake are exactly the same. All the TFI stuff you bought will work on the 76 engine if you swap the distributors from one engine to another.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

will e

Post by will e »

I would reconsider using the engine from another FSJ only because you have to pay someone to do the work. It means you pay them to pull it out of some old jeep and the condition of the engine is unknown. Then you pay them to pull the engine out of your jeep. Then you pay them to put the engine of unknown condition into your jeep and get it to run. This will not be cheap. If the engine of unknown condition has an issue you have no choice, you have to pay to get it fixed.

I would suck it up and pay for an installed rebuilt engine that comes with a warranty (parts and labor). Talk to your mechanic about this option.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

ClovisMan wrote:The 76 and the 79 block, heads, and probably intake are exactly the same. All the TFI stuff you bought will work on the 76 engine if you swap the distributors from one engine to another.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Maybe my wording(or typing) was the problem :D

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

will e wrote:I would reconsider using the engine from another FSJ only because you have to pay someone to do the work. It means you pay them to pull it out of some old jeep and the condition of the engine is unknown. Then you pay them to pull the engine out of your jeep. Then you pay them to put the engine of unknown condition into your jeep and get it to run. This will not be cheap. If the engine of unknown condition has an issue you have no choice, you have to pay to get it fixed.

I would suck it up and pay for an installed rebuilt engine that comes with a warranty (parts and labor). Talk to your mechanic about this option.

My mechanic is actually willing to go check it out with me. I went by and asked what he'd do if it were his, he said he'd go with the 76 and swap...if it ran good. We shall see.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

ClovisMan wrote:The 76 and the 79 block, heads, and probably intake are exactly the same. All the TFI stuff you bought will work on the 76 engine if you swap the distributors from one engine to another.
This.

The only thing that would keep you from doing the TFI upgrade would be the ignition from 1976....all of which you are going to replace with ignition from 1979.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
gixxerphil

Post by gixxerphil »

Well, the guy sold the 76. I think my best option is to just have mine rebuilt. That way, I know what I have.

I posted this in another thread, and I don't see the need to start a new one.........so

Ok, to my understanding, this is a list of what's needed to rebuild my motor.

•Piston Set
•Piston Ring Set
•Rod Bearing Set
•Main Bearing Set
•Camshaft Bearing Set
•Camshaft
•Lifters
•Timing Kit
•Oil Pump
•Freeze Plug Set
•Full Gasket Set

Is there anything else I should add to it? I'm not looking for HP, I just want it to be drivable.
This is the kit I'm looking at.
http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index.ph ... tail&p=701

Are there any that are better quality I should look for? I don't want to throw a bunch of cheap parts in there, I'd rather just do this once.