Charcoal canister, does one even exist????

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
87WAGGY

Charcoal canister, does one even exist????

Post by 87WAGGY »

Hi, new to the forum here! :) I have an 87' Grand Wagoneer that we are working on and the charcoal canister has a nice hole in it. I have searched high and low for another canister, IT doesn't seem to exist! Does anyone have an extra one laying around? We are almost ready to install the engine and this thing has to pass emissions. I am in California, the worst state for emissions! HELP!! :shock:

serehill
Vendor

Re: Charcoal canister, does one even exist????

Post by serehill »

I have one that is not new but would clean up well.

Cha ching
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/J ... 7AodhH4Aig

a little modification to the mount .
http://teamcherokee.com/evaporative-emi ... 1996-2000/
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Here ar two very good writ up on this. Short awnser is, nope your out of luck. The originals are gone and used ones are seldom usable. The replacements these articles are using have even dried up, no new ones to buy. Furtunately you can still find them used. Search fee-bay and local yards. There are several numbers on the cross refernce link (last one) that you can search on ebay too. I bought a used one did the mods and put it in my J10.

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthre ... d-Cherokee

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106051

http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/airtex/4b1273.html
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Topic author
87WAGGY

Post by 87WAGGY »

Great! Thanks so much for getting back to me on this! I just find it amazing no one makes new units! I will check out the links! :)

mpatch

Post by mpatch »

Sorry to hop in but I was asking about this a few months back, I got a used one and haven't hooked it up yet. But what is everyone doing that is not using one? My garage and car clearly has a gas odor to it? I would really like to see if there is another fix or way to get rid of the smell without the canister.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

mpatch wrote:Sorry to hop in but I was asking about this a few months back, I got a used one and haven't hooked it up yet. But what is everyone doing that is not using one? My garage and car clearly has a gas odor to it? I would really like to see if there is another fix or way to get rid of the smell without the canister.
The canister is absorbing the fumes, and recycling them. The tank is open to the atmosphere through the canister. You can't suck fuel from the tank without venting it somehow. I would not say "impossible" to delete the canister and not have a gas smell, but I can't see how it's possible.

The only alternative really is to plug all the vent lines and use a vented gas cap. This functions fine, but smells like gas.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Around April/May I went through every post I could find -- on just about every jeep/AMC forum I could find. I wrote down every part number, alternative part number, "looks like it could be made to work" part number, etc.

I struck out on everything at the big parts houses here in the south -- Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Carquest. Found that Advance had one of the alternative canisters, CP1061, sitting in the warehouse in Houston. It was actually there, and they shipped it into the local store. It was the only one -- I had them go through every inventory site they had.

So, long story short, from all of the research and ground work I did, I think I must have happened onto one of the last cylindrical canisters that fit the OEM GW mount... and it wasn't even one that hooked up directly. Had to drill ports, etc. But it mounted to the fender well in the stock mount, and had the right number of lines. Solved my gasoline stink in my garage.

Lots of NOS ones for sale on eBay for GM; these should be pretty easy to swap over. Here's one that seems to have the right number of ports -- just cap off the line to the "air cleaner" and you should be good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-81-Buick-Old ... 5b&vxp=mtr
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The Napa guy you spoke with is either an idiot or he didn't understand whay you wanted.

CRB 220052 is the number you want.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

mpatch

Post by mpatch »

Thanks - I will take a look at that one. Hopefully not to much modification that needs to be done.

acct21

Post by acct21 »

carnuck wrote:The Napa guy you spoke with is either an idiot or he didn't understand whay you wanted.

Or, as it actually occurred -- they didn't have one anywhere in stock, and referred me to the website, where I ordered one:

Your order summary:

Item: Fuel Vapor Canister
Product Number: CRB 220052
Quantity: 1
Price: $35.99
Item Total: $35.99

=============================================

Subtotal: $35.99
Tax: $2.97
Shipping: $7.95
Total: $46.91

If you have any questions or feedback, please give us a call at (877) 805-6272 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. You may also email us at customersupport@napaonline.com. We’ll reply within two business days.

We hope you’ll visit us again soon!

Thanks,

NAPA KNOW HOW Team

And then canceled the order three days later stating the part was no longer available.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

It's the one listed for XJs and ZJs.

It was available last I checked?

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP3045 is the replacement (Rock Auto shows some)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

acct21 wrote:
carnuck wrote:The Napa guy you spoke with is either an idiot or he didn't understand whay you wanted.

Or, as it actually occurred -- they didn't have one anywhere in stock, and referred me to the website, where I ordered one:

Your order summary:

Item: Fuel Vapor Canister
Product Number: CRB 220052
Quantity: 1
Price: $35.99
Item Total: $35.99

=============================================

Subtotal: $35.99
Tax: $2.97
Shipping: $7.95
Total: $46.91

If you have any questions or feedback, please give us a call at (877) 805-6272 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. You may also email us at customersupport@napaonline.com. We’ll reply within two business days.

We hope you’ll visit us again soon!

Thanks,

NAPA KNOW HOW Team

And then canceled the order three days later stating the part was no longer available.
hee hee hee, I love it! :)
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Hmmmmm
Jeeps used alot of Mopar components by 87 and I changed out a ton of them on Grands less than one year old due to the screen coming apart allowing the charcoal to be sucked into the carb bowl.....causing random stumbling and funkyness. It wouldn't surprise me if the same year dodge smallblock 50 state pickups and Diplomats used the same unit.
Worth a look if you're desperate for one.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

87WAGGY wrote:Hi, new to the forum here! :) the charcoal canister has a nice hole in it. :shock:
I thought they come with a nice hole in them already. Do you have an extra hole? I think that for the evap test, they pinch off that line to pressurize the tank to check for leaks. Seems like you could plug most any hole in a canister and paint it.

I have several used ones here. They are in the salvage yards regularly. Usually the nipples break off. You need a 4 port? I think the early ones were three port.
tommy

VOX

Post by VOX »

Just take your old canister and carefully cut off one end to see how its made inside, then get some activated charcoal from an aquarium store and make your own with a one pound coffee can, some screen wire mesh, and a few HELP! pipe nipples. FYI, activated charcoal can be reactivated by rinsing it in boiling water then spreading it out on a cookie sheet and baking it for an hour at 325'.
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Hey Keith,

I've thought bout doing that. Well making my own anyway. It's not a very complex thing. The tough part is the rubber diaphragm that opens when it get ported vacuum. Creating this from scratch would be difficult. Getting the right spring pressure so that it opens in the proper vacuum. The bright side is, I think I found just the top valve portion that could be grafted on to the rest of a home brewed unit. Ok, well tried to search for the link on ebay, but it turns out that they are gone. (or i cant find right now) The one I was searching for looked exactly like the ours I saw some others that look different but may work for a franken canister.

I'd like to try this but since I found a working canister for my rig it's just not at the top of my list of things to do. :oops:
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

VOX

Post by VOX »

Nutz-n-Bolts wrote:Hey Keith,

I've thought bout doing that. Well making my own anyway. It's not a very complex thing. The tough part is the rubber diaphragm that opens when it get ported vacuum. Creating this from scratch would be difficult. Getting the right spring pressure so that it opens in the proper vacuum. The bright side is, I think I found just the top valve portion that could be grafted on to the rest of a home brewed unit. Ok, well tried to search for the link on ebay, but it turns out that they are gone. (or i cant find right now) The one I was searching for looked exactly like the ours I saw some others that look different but may work for a franken canister.

I'd like to try this but since I found a working canister for my rig it's just not at the top of my list of things to do. :oops:
I think it'd be a lot easier to use an off the shelf check valve from a farm / tractor supply store than trying to make a diaphram. You don't have to make it exactly like the factory unit, you just have to make it where it works, maybe you'll come up with a better design than the factory did. Someone mentioned AMC using Mopar parts, this is very true, Mopar and GM really, don't be afraid to experiment with different parts until you're satisfied with how it works. Look at the vapor canisters on old Ford trucks, you'd swear they were made from coffee cans. Take a page from Smokey Yunick and learn to innovate.
Keith

1980 Wagoneer
1973 J10
1975 Cherokee Chief

mpatch

Post by mpatch »

I am having my canister hooked back up today. Does anybody no if you can change the charcoal or if they have a filter that can be changed to assure it is still working? I got it used and feel that it lost lots of charcoal along the way.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

mpatch wrote:I am having my canister hooked back up today. Does anybody no if you can change the charcoal or if they have a filter that can be changed to assure it is still working? I got it used and feel that it lost lots of charcoal along the way.
There is a filter pad, like a disk of glass wool, on the bottom of the factory canister, that can be replaced. Otherwise, they are not meant to be serviced.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

mpatch

Post by mpatch »

Is there a chance or is it possible that it could lose all the charcoal in the canister or is it the filter at the bottom that does all the "filter" smell removal.