Quality D44 Bearings (rear)

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author

Quality D44 Bearings (rear)

Post by 243 »

I need to replace the axle bearings, do ya'll have a recommendation for a kit with the retainers, seals and quality bearings?

Edit: BJ's has the kit with Timken bearings, probably the way to go?
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

jsinajeep

Re: Quality D44 Bearings (rear)

Post by jsinajeep »

Check your local parts stores

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

Original bearings were Timken.

I went with a bearing and seal kit from Randy's Ring & Pinion when I rebuilt mine. Timken bearings and nice quality seals along with new shim packs, gear marker compound, and just about everything else you could need. I think it was in the $300 range. Nice box and kit.

Local parts store bearings and seals are Chinese imports, usually SKF. They may be high quality, they may be crap, but at least with Timken you know what you're getting since the originals were the same and lasted this long. New ones should do the same. I like being familiar with what I'm buying.

Also if you go with Timken you can directly match the part numbers just to be sure.

PLUS, replacing an old Timken bearing with a new Timken bearing means the shim requirements should be about the same as before, at least darn close. Closer than you'd likely be if you went with a different brand bearing. I compared my original Timken bearings to the new ones and everything was identical, even the machining marks. I swear they haven't changed their tooling and manufacturing process in 50 years at least.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

FSJunkie wrote:Original bearings were Timken.

I went with a bearing and seal kit from Randy's Ring & Pinion when I rebuilt mine. Timken bearings and nice quality seals along with new shim packs, gear marker compound, and just about everything else you could need. I think it was in the $300 range. Nice box and kit.

Local parts store bearings and seals are Chinese imports, usually SKF. They may be high quality, they may be crap, but at least with Timken you know what you're getting since the originals were the same and lasted this long. New ones should do the same. I like being familiar with what I'm buying.

Also if you go with Timken you can directly match the part numbers just to be sure.

PLUS, replacing an old Timken bearing with a new Timken bearing means the shim requirements should be about the same as before, at least darn close. Closer than you'd likely be if you went with a different brand bearing. I compared my original Timken bearings to the new ones and everything was identical, even the machining marks. I swear they haven't changed their tooling and manufacturing process in 50 years at least.
The axle bearings do not have any shims. They just press on with the retaining ring. The carrier bearings do, but I am pretty sure he just means axle shaft bearings.

But definitely go with Timken.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I need axle bearings, not differential bearings.

I used Timken on the CJ and bought them at Autozone, have not found parts for the D44 locally at any parts store so I am looking for other vendors.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Napa carried Timken last I checked, I just had to specify that I wanted them. You can also get them through online places like Randy's R&P.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Autozone carries TImken.

Here is the Yukon kit with TImken bearings. It's called a Set 10 bearing set.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-AK-SET10-Re ... +44+set+10
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I have not found Timken at Autozone, O'reilly, Advance or NAPA.

Even found that JK's, Titan's and other vehicles use the same SET10 and plugged in those vehicles and nothing comes up other than National, SKT and Mastercraft.

I am ready to go buy the 15.99 Mastercraft bearing and seal from Oreilly and replace the passenger side rear tomorrow. I am planning to call at 7:30 but the 47.00 National bearing is probably made in China, if so, I will get the Mastercraft and place an order for Timken's. I had it up on four jack stands under the axles last night and ran it to check for vibrations and it's howling pretty loud and moving around enough to cause some pretty noticeable vibrations.

The oil is pretty dirty, I think it would be smart to replace the wheel bearings, inner seals and differential bearings at the same time.