wobbly vent window handle

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
69gladiator

wobbly vent window handle

Post by 69gladiator »

Has anyone devised a means of tightening up a wobbly vent window handle? Cant find 2 good used ones.

Tatsadasayago

Re: wobbly vent window handle

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I recently dealt with the same thing after not being able to find good replacement handles.

What usually happens is the steel post that mounts on the glass side eats up the inside of the handle which is made from potmetal.
I removed the steel post from the glass first.
I then took a section of 1/4" ID brass tubing--available at Ace Hardware, cut off a 1/4" length, then cut a lengthwise section out as shown below.

I then closed the tubing until it was the same diameter as the inside of the handle, cutting the open end of the 'C' until it fit.

Once the piece was inside the handle it acted like a bushing. I drove the metal post into the handle with a dead blow hammer until the roll pin met with the groove on the post and drove it in. I had to squirt some penetrating oil in there and work the handle a bit to loosen it up, then put everything back together. :D
The trick is to have the open ends of the 'C' aligned with the roll pin, so in the end there was an 1/8" gap at the ends. You'll understand what I mean once you see things for yourself.

I hope this helps you!

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

letank

Post by letank »

Great graphics....

in my case the pin was bent a bit, or replaced w some cheap rod, not a roll pin...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

You know letank, I think I used the wrong term. I believe it was a solid steel rod and not a roll pin!
un bon monsieur de capture!

Topic author
69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

The instructions greatly improved the problem. I still have what I believe is too much play where the shaft joins the frame, but its much better than before.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

You can cure that with silver soldering but it's easier and cheaper to find another one.
The importance of having a tight wing window seal can't be underestimated. If the glass isn't up against the rubber seal, you can get water leak that drops down to the door panel and speaker.
Been there, done that.