Axle help.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Firstly to Jerry this isn't changing our deal.

My truck I bought to fill a transportation gap after the Waggy broke has now crapped the fuel pump or something. The buddy that towed the POS home looked at axle and told me what I thought was a mushroomed axle tube was in fact not. What I was seeing was parts of the bearing and he drove it all out leaving me with a race to remove, I got a screwdriver, chisel and hammer and started working the chisel and screwdriver in behind the race and have drove it to the edge but I think the screwdriver against the axle tube is holding the race in place and not allowing to come out the rest of the way. Any ideas how to finish removing this?

I do not own a slide hammer, which is the only thing I can think of that would remove it. I'm open to general tool ideas or other suggestions even if I have to go buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68glad

Re: Axle help.

Post by 68glad »

1. Got a welder?? weld on a couple nuts to inside of race. Install bolt. Wrangle out w/ visegrips or whatever
2. Put a piece of flatbar or wood or something behind screwdriver or prybar (but don't extend over the race) & keep doing what your doing.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If you can get ahold of a die grinder or something with a cut-off wheel, make a cut across the bearing until it almost makes it through. (Or if yer good, cut all the way through it without hitting the housing) A whack with a hammer and chisel should crack it through. This will relieve the pressure on the housing and the race should pull out easily with your screwdriver.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Use a block of wood on the outside edge and go back to the screwdriver or use a piece of chain with a bolt on one end and something for weight on the other. Hook the bolt head behind the race and play crack the whip. I've even used the drum as the weight.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Anyone have prt numbers for the bearings, and other parts?

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Disregard last I just ordered kit from BJ's and had it overnighted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

Did you get it out. Most big chain (Autozone, O'Reilly's) auto parts stores will loan you a slide hammer.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

I looked at O'Reillys slide hammers last night while borrowing the fuel pressure gauges and it didn't look like what i needed. I had the truck towed to a shop so the Jeep is my only project for the day. However it is outside and it's 19 degrees here today. Returning the fuel pressure check gauge and then beating on the Jeep some more in preparation for the bearings to arrive tomorrow. Sure will be nice having a back up driver again.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Shipped email arrived to be delivered tomorrow!

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Parts are here anyone have a picture of how this is supposed to go together so I can have it done right this time?

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

I found a diagram of the order. Is there anything I need to know before having these bearings pressed on?

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

If you have the diagram of the order that about all you need. I hear that some rear axle has two seals. An inter and outer and in that case you will need to pack the bearing with grease and it wouldn't hurt to pack it anyway instead of running it when I dry.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Thanks Jerry

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

All is well with the axle repair, it helps to pay a guy that does the work all the time then a guy that says yeah I can do that easy. Any tricks to getting seal to seat or just line it up and bolt it in.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Never put a seal in dry, wipe it with gear oil before stabbing, line it up and a slight push to get it started.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Where does this go?

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Also pack the bearing or no?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That appears to be the inner axle seal. It goes into the axle tube somewhere from 2-3" from the flange.
It's best to add a ring of grease or gear oil to the inner part that rides on the axle shaft before assembly to keep it wet until the gear oil sloshes onto it.
Getting the original out isn't all that hard but getting the new one in takes care unless you have the proper seal installer tool. Push it into the housing until it stops, then tap it in gently side to side then 90 degrees off with a drift or 1/2" socket extension until you feel it firmly seat all the way around.
[EDIT] The side shown in the photo faces the wheel side.
As was said earlier, be sure to pack your bearing well and even add a small blob into the tube before sliding the axle back in.
Oh, and be sure to top off the gear oil in the housing! The be absolutely sure you have enough, jack up one end, then the other to allow some gear oil flow outward to the seal, set it down and fill to the bottom of the fill plug :)
Good luck!

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

Deleted video for language sorry I forgot

Last edited by wewillsurvive on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Axle help.

Post by wewillsurvive »

As far as I could tell there was never an inner seal in that axle. It has been suggested that they stopped putting them in the D44's. If this is wrong please advise because it isn't in there. It's a 1986 if it matters