Help With Ticking Sound (video)

Stock FSJ Tech Area

ghcoe

Re: Help With Ticking Sound (video)

Post by ghcoe »

Sounds like a lifter tick to me. I would read up on how to adjust the lifters. Not too difficult, but has to be done systematically and a good time to replace valve cover gaskets. A lot of time leaking exhaust gaskets sound like a lifter tick, but since you replaced those already I suspect a lifter.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

az chip

Post by az chip »

It don't sound right.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

ghcoe wrote:Sounds like a lifter tick to me. I would read up on how to adjust the lifters. Not too difficult, but has to be done systematically and a good time to replace valve cover gaskets. A lot of time leaking exhaust gaskets sound like a lifter tick, but since you replaced those already I suspect a lifter.

360 has hydraulic lifters i believe.. they are self adjusting there is no way to adjust them.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

They are hydraulic and there is no adjustment.

Are you sure your air injection lines are in good shape and don't have a hole or crack ? if they do you can hear it just the same as the manifold leaking. it still sort of sounds like an exhaust leak.

If you're sure i's not an exhaust leak you need to pull the valve cover and take a look.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I would suggest a sticking
or collapsed lifter then.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

It doesn't sound like a lifter to me, but like I said it's hard to tell from a video.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I thought I heard some "Huffing" sounds coming from the carb when you opened up the throttle that last time. I would suggest you do a fairly good and rapid half-throttle 'stab' and listen for a 'FuhDuhDuhDuh"' sound coming from the carb throat. Methinks you've got a worn cam lobe/lifter, collapsed lifter or bent pushrod on an intake valve.
Old AMC engines suffer from the tips of the valves pulling through the locks and when the tip recedes enough you'll get a similar sound. (Just before the valve pulls through and munches the piston.

Best of luck to you and Kudos for a very good video. Being able to hear the sound clearly is a very helpful way to get a good diagnosis.
Just based on that last video, I'd agree with Tats. Sounds like bent pushrod but, that odd gurgling sound after you let off the throttle sounds like something worse, to my ear.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Shwag

Post by Shwag »

montanablueSJ wrote:Ok, maybe I'll start by replacing the exhaust manifold gasket, then see where that gets me.
I had an eerily similar sound and mine turned out to be a worn out lobe on my camshaft. I had a noticeable loss of power too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 LR RR | 86 GW AMC 360 Howell TBI, Edelbrock Performance Intake| 79 BMW R100S

Topic author
montanablueSJ

Post by montanablueSJ »

No valve adjustment possible on this engine...
I will check again with a friend for an exhaust leak, and take the valve cover off and wiggle some stuff around, but if I don't find anything, do you guys think it is okay to keep driving on it?
I've already driven 2,500 miles on it with it sounding like that
1981 Cherokee 2-door -- 360 V8 -- T-176 -- NP-208 -- Dana 44 + AMC 20 -- Narrow track, base model

oakknoll

Post by oakknoll »

It sounds to me like valve train. I think it is a broken bridge and possibly bent pushrod. I had a 360 that sounded just like that many years ago. Don't do what I did and just replace the broken one, replace everything as long as you are in there.
Peter

1984 J-10
1982 CJ-8
1982 Wagoneer
1991 Comanche
1998 XJ Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee
2007 Commander
2012 Wrangler