Oil pump and adapter questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
az chip

Oil pump and adapter questions

Post by az chip »

What is the orange arrow pointing to? Is that supposed to be a screen? If I bought the bull tear oil adapter would I be better off without the bypass? Old gears are 1.452 new gears are 1.460. New gears pass the .0005 measurement. The new gears have T stamped in them. Is that mean to keep the T together, apart, or nothing? Just curious about the adapter.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by az chip on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tgreese

Re: Oil pump and adapter questions

Post by tgreese »

I presume the T is for "top." They need to be aligned otherwise.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I have the rest of the parts. When installing the driven oil pump gear it binds about halfway in. I am guessing old oil that has hardened over time. It takes about 40-50 lbs of pressure to get a little ways in. Should I ream? Clean? Experience with this? Stupid question?

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

AMC put the bypass there for a reason. backyard mechanics and aftermarket outfits selling parts have been trying to find faults in AMC engines that don't exist for years. just put the rebuild kit in the pump and forget it.

Unless your adapter is mangled I'd skip the spacer plate as well. another cure looking for a problem.

Sometimes the new gear shaft fits tight , I've never had one tight enough to be a problem but a little emery cloth work with a dowel on the tight spot should cure it.

The gears do not have a specific alignment.

The AMC oil pump is probably the weakest bit on engineering in the engine. RONCO aftermarket parts and lame fixes can make it worse . as long as all the components are in good shape it works good enough for the intended purpose. we're not building top fuel dragsters here.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I got the oil pump shaft bore cleaned up. Hoppes #9 and a bore brush. All good. My top plate is no good. There are not faults in AMC engines. But there have been many design changes/improvements in oil filter technology. Just catching up with the times.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

AMC engineers themselves deleted the bypass in later years. As filter technology advanced it was no longer needed. One less part to fail, stick open, leak pressure, etc...
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Just curious if you had any issues getting the distributor in with the new oil pump shaft and distributor fitment?

Mine won't sit down on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

You probably need to turn the pump shaft a bit to line it up.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

440sixpack wrote:You probably need to turn the pump shaft a bit to line it up.
I tried rotating the engine over about 7000 times before I gave up tried lining everything up perfect... ECT. ECT. New smelling pump and a new cam gear / distributor gear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Reach down into the distributor hole with a big long screwdriver and turn the oil pump to where it will line up with the end of the distributor shaft. It's not connected to the engine rotation any other way, so you can position the slot in the oil pump shaft at any angle you want ... no need to crank the engine. Put it to #1 TDC and leave it there.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I'll try it again when I get home. I can get in the other engine in 3 seconds... but this one just wont...

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Did you test that the distributor end goes into the slot in the gears shaft before you installed the gears? Could be a defect.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

No I didn't

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You could also take the oil filter adapter off and remove the gears, install the distributor, and put the gears up.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Cheapthrills wrote:Just curious if you had any issues getting the distributor in with the new oil pump shaft and distributor fitment?

Yes I did. The new oil pump gear with the long shaft. The split end was splayed out a bit and would not insert. I had to GENTLY squeeze with the vise to get it in.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

az chip wrote:
Cheapthrills wrote:Just curious if you had any issues getting the distributor in with the new oil pump shaft and distributor fitment?

Yes I did. The new oil pump gear with the long shaft. The split end was splayed out a bit and would not insert. I had to GENTLY squeeze with the vise to get it in.
Thank you.... that's what it feels like

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

az chip wrote:

That's exactly what happened... thanks.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Glad I could help.