Drive line Troubleshooting help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
az chip

Drive line Troubleshooting help

Post by az chip »

I had a rough drive the other day. After leaving the lube place I had a bad thumping noise and a shake in the Jeep. This is my Jeep on jack stands. A little help appreciated.
https://youtu.be/WioHd7msHYg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Drive line Troubleshooting help

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Hard to say man. I'd start simple and work deeper. Pull the wheels and brake drums. Check to make sure nothing is bad in there then try rotating each axle to see if you feel anything weird. Then pull the diff cover and inspect the ring and pinion.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Hard to say man. I'd start simple and work deeper. Pull the wheels and brake drums. Check to make sure nothing is bad in there then try rotating each axle to see if you feel anything weird. Then pull the diff cover and inspect the ring and pinion.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Curious update: Removed left rear wheel/tire and the noise and bumping stopped.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Pull the brake drum off. You might find something loose in there.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, sometimes tires wobble like that because they aren't true, but it looks to me like the wheel is bent out the axle shaft is bent. I don't know what all was done at the lube shop, but I agree that you should pull the drum. Best case I see is that the adjuster isn't adjusted right, so the shoes are engaging the drum asymmetrically and shifting, which is making the clunk, and the wobble is just from the tire being wonky (not a big deal so long as it balances).
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Just to finish up this thread. Fault found: left rear e brake cable pulled to tight broke some springs on the drum brakes. Fixed all that and the torque on the right rear was bad on the lug nuts. All fixed now.