Need help with alternator mount - 89GW with Sanden A/C

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
PaulD

Need help with alternator mount - 89GW with Sanden A/C

Post by PaulD »

My 89 GW was missing the stock York A/C and compressor brackets when I bought it so I decided to install a Sanden A/C. Only problem I had was mounting the alternator. I thought I had a workable arrangement but after about 500 miles, it did not look so good. The alternator has developed a tilt due to the belt pressure and lack of supports to keep it properly aligned. I used several brackets I scrounged from other installations but they do not provide the needed support. I think I need the alternator brackets that were used on the 90-91 GW with the Sanden compressor. I have not found a good picture of the 90-91 alternator setup. Can someone post one or offer a link to one?

FSJ Guy

Re: Need help with alternator mount - 89GW with Sanden A/C

Post by FSJ Guy »

The brackets are the same, AFAIK. I swapped over to the Sanden style bracket a while back. You're most likely missing some factory brackets.

Post up a pic of what you've got and maybe we can tell you what's missing or wrong.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

derf

Re: Need help with alternator mount - 89GW with Sanden A/C

Post by derf »

If you need a stock Sanden AC mount that works with stock alternator brackets I have the whole setup available for a reasonable price.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.