License Plate Light Bulb Replacement?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Santeh

License Plate Light Bulb Replacement?

Post by Santeh »

Hello Everyone!

The lights that illuminate the license plate on my 1978 Jeep Cherokee have gone out. As I was investigating the issue with the thought of just swapping the bulb, it was quickly apparent that this was going to be a potentially tougher issue as the bulb seems to be hard wired in. I was told that for the full size Jeeps the entire assembly needs to be replaced, not just a simple bulb. Is this correct? If so, does anyone have an assembly for sale?

However, is it possible to splice in a socket that allows for an LED bulb? This type of bulb should last a while and since it is socketed it should be easy to replace. Has anyone done this?

I am, unfortunately, in a state where I am told that the police will pull you over for the license plate bulb being out, thus night driving is not an option until a fix is performed. Does anyone know if a temporary light is possible (such as an LED strip that tapes onto the license plate bulb cover)?

Thank you, all!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

80Limited

Re: License Plate Light Bulb Replacement?

Post by 80Limited »

It’s an easy repair, two screws. Bj’s carrys replacements.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

80Limited wrote:It’s an easy repair, two screws. Bj’s carrys replacements.
Huh, well that is good to hear! I would guess this will work:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/License-Plate-Lamp_p_956.html

Thank you!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

Mine was corroded and rusty. I swapped it out and it was like night and day. It is two bullet terminals connected to the light housing, 5 minute fix.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

80Limited wrote:Mine was corroded and rusty. I swapped it out and it was like night and day. It is two bullet terminals connected to the light housing, 5 minute fix.
Nice as I am an automotive newbie. Was the part in the link I gave the one you were thinking of?

Thank you again!

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

Yep, that’s what I bought.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

80Limited wrote:Yep, that’s what I bought.
Great! Thank you!!! :)

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Also can cut the housing apart at the top seam, cut out the old bulb and splice in a new bulb like the ones that go in the dash. Then glue it back together and you're good. Can even use a led bulb if you wanted
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition