tailgate window just stopped going up

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Moosehead

Re: tailgate window just stopped going up

Post by Moosehead »

+1 Silicone spray the entire window frame liners both below and above the window threshold. It goes on wet but dries quickly, though I’ve seen others use gel based with huge success. All four doors and tailgate glass frames/tracks. Hit all your scissors lifts as well wherever reachable behind the panels, pull them all to get proper access. It will do wonders and prevent you opening up everything multiple times over cursing at your stuck windows.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

dodgerammit

Re: tailgate window just stopped going up

Post by dodgerammit »

merrill77 wrote:Took to it again this morning to diagnose why it will, now, not go down. I suspected the safety switch because:
1) I had reversed the motor hookup (which I noticed because the up/down at the dash switch was reversed)
2) Before reversing the switch, it would not go up. Now it will not go down.

Note that I had tested the safety switch several times, but I now suspected that it has an intermittent failure that caused it to stop working again somewhere between my garage and the gas station.

Fortunately, with it stuck in the up position, it was easy to pull the panels, yank the switch connector and bypass the switch. BINGO!

I am leaving it bypassed for now...just to verify that it still works after a few days of driving. After that, I guess I'm going to need to replace the switch. I couldn't find one on BJs - any suggestions?

TIA!
Chris
Glad you found the problem! I'm not sure of where to find a replacement, though. Possibly junkyard.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD