Carpet Installation Question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

440sixpack

Re: Carpet Installation Question

Post by 440sixpack »

There is no other choice that's how ACC stays in business. if you've ever used Trim Parts brand carpet you'd cry at the the difference.

That said sometimes you have to be happy anyone makes anything for low volume sales markets like Jeep.

A heat gun can help form the areas that don't fit sometimes. but be careful there is a fine like between shaping and melting. and you may have to cut the jute or pull it loose in areas.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

I have acc cut pile with mass backing and other than needing some trimming it fit very nice. A little loose around the trans tunnel and the wheel wells but overall good quality.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

Hello all!

Thank you for everything and all the comments! This is indeed a great group!

I must say, fulsizjeep, that you did a fantastic job on your Jeep! It is exactly what I am looking to have done, yet the more I read and think about the issue the more I am sure I cannot do it as I have zero experience. I am thinking of just buying the kit from BJ's along with something like the thermal blanket you used and then have a car place in my town install it (along with some new Corbeau seats at the same time).

Thanks again all! Happy Fourth!
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I promise you that you can do it. It is a very simple job, just a little tedious and time consuming. And it will also continue to teach you more about your FSJ. The hardest part honestly will be removing the interior. Especially if it has never been out before. Expect some seized bolts. Some may even break off and have to be drilled out. As frustrating as that is, for me that is part of the fun of owning my FSJ. We bond through it's stubbornness of yielding it's old parts and rust. Just yesterday I was cussing at the discharge line on my AC system as it has the one and only leak in the system, keeping me from having AC. That line has probably never been removed before, so lots of PB blaster and patience and I finally broke the nuts free and got it out. There is a great reward in successfully completing a job and not getting discouraged and quitting on it. So I would encourage you to attempt it.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

1979bettywhite wrote:I promise you that you can do it. It is a very simple job, just a little tedious and time consuming. And it will also continue to teach you more about your FSJ. The hardest part honestly will be removing the interior. Especially if it has never been out before. Expect some seized bolts. Some may even break off and have to be drilled out. As frustrating as that is, for me that is part of the fun of owning my FSJ. We bond through it's stubbornness of yielding it's old parts and rust. Just yesterday I was cussing at the discharge line on my AC system as it has the one and only leak in the system, keeping me from having AC. That line has probably never been removed before, so lots of PB blaster and patience and I finally broke the nuts free and got it out. There is a great reward in successfully completing a job and not getting discouraged and quitting on it. So I would encourage you to attempt it.
This. I'd never done carpet either when I did my Belair. I was probably 23 or 24 when I did it. I rolled up my sleeves, rolled out the carpet in the sun. Pulled the old out while the new baked, then put in the new. It looks great still, even with a couple of small boo-boos.

As far as the sill plates (which I'd say will be the most difficult), use a pair of vice grip pliers and grab the point of the screw from the underside of the floor pans and help break them free from their corrosion.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

That's a beautiful job fullsizejeep!! Great write-up too! Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

mikedshurts

Post by mikedshurts »

SJTD
I bought a78 and am restoring it. I also found the small nails thru the wheel well and floor. I assume it was Jeep that did it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hanger

Post by hanger »

I’m in the middle of replacing my cargo carpet with a set from BJ’s I purchased a couple years ago and am just now getting around to it. I’ve got all the old carpet out and am putting heater insulation down on everything. So far I have one wheel well covered with insulation and set the fender carpet in place to check for fit. I’m finding it to be very bulky and not fitting well at all. It appears some relief cuts will be needed. Has anyone found this to be required to get a nice surface fit on the wheel wells? It seems it will need three long cuts to prevent any of it bunching up and get a good surface fit. I’m fine with a little trimming around the edges but this appears to need relief cuts for a good surface fit.

EDIT UPDATE: Stupid me had them upside down. Amazing how much better they fit when you get them in right side up. 👍

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Jist to chime in.. my 90 the rear wheel well carpet is glued in. No nailed in. For me. And under thr bench seat it flips up and down until you get to the seat belt bolts.. Nothing secures that. The cargo area is obvious is secured with those strips. The rest of it up front is secured with the seats. And the sill plate trim.

I think the chrysler years they glued the wheel wells on. Not stapled
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

Here’s a handy tool, can also get at Menards’s: https://www.harborfreight.com/4v-cordle ... gLndvD_BwE
Bill

1979 Wagoneer
1959 Bel Air
1968 Nova
1972 Eldo ragtop
1980 Z28

hanger

Post by hanger »

I got one wheel well glued in using 3M90. I’m putting the heater insulation throughout the back and hope it quiets the cab noise down. Gonna start on the other wheel well tomorrow night.