Parking Brake Light - stays slightly on, kills battery

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
KiwiWagoneer

Parking Brake Light - stays slightly on, kills battery

Post by KiwiWagoneer »

Hi there,
Looking for some advice on where to start checking.
I've got a 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that seems to flatten the battery due to a slightly illuminated parking brake light on the dash when the key is removed from the ignition. When the Jeep is on / running, this light is illuminated at 'full' strength, and if the Jeep is parked without the brake being engaged, the light is completely off...
Any ideas where to start cursing at?
Much appreciated...
J
-------------------------------------------
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

tgreese

Re: Parking Brake Light - stays slightly on, kills battery

Post by tgreese »

Not sure about the '90 model, but the earlier models have a switch on the parking brake pedal that grounds a wire to the lamp when the pedal is depressed. That could be partly contacting and showing the bulb dimly all the time. This light also indicates when the master cylinder has a pressure imbalance between the front and rear wheel circuits. This will indicate a brake system failure (or impending failure). Both of these systems should be off (no power) when the ignition is off, so it's hard to see how this could drain the battery.

Really, it's very hard to diagnose electrical problems without the car in front of you. How I would approach this is to look at the wiring diagram from the TSM and see what could possibly be causing power to this bulb all the time. Then I would use my multimeter (or test light) and trace those circuits to localize the fault. Without the car to test, you're just guessing.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

ShagWagon

Re: Parking Brake Light - stays slightly on, kills battery

Post by ShagWagon »

Seems like bad/dirty pedal switch and bad ignition switch at a glance.

All dash lights should turn off with key in the off position.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.