'87 GW windshield replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
WagoneerOwl

'87 GW windshield replacement

Post by WagoneerOwl »

Gents,

The windshield in my '87 GW is cracked so needs to be replaced. Was going to have a loca auto glass shop handle it as they've got some old timers there who do nice work and have probably done some of these in the past. Anyhow, had a few questions before I proceed:

1. Is the correct windshield glass clear or tinted? I looked on RockAuto and they offered either clear or green tinted glass as options. Was going to call Pilkington Classics and speak to them as well.

2. Should I have the rubber seal replaced or is it better to try and keep the factory seal in there? If I replace it, who's the best vendor to get it from e.g. From a fitment perspective?

3. How nasty of a job is R&R'ing the windshield on one of these anyways? Is the trim tricky to remove?

Thanks!
Aaron

tgreese

Re: '87 GW windshield replacement

Post by tgreese »

Considering the up-scale market of the Wagoneer, I'd expect tinted glass. Likely they all coame with tinted glass standard, though you could probably delete on special order.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

It is tinted. When new a/c vehicles got tint and non a/c was with out. We always went with tint regardless. Check with Safelite auto glass. They will have correct seal and glass with great warranty and installed for less or equal to other shops want for glass.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

Cheap Hobby wrote:It is tinted. When new a/c vehicles got tint and non a/c was with out. We always went with tint regardless. Check with Safelite auto glass. They will have correct seal and glass with great warranty and installed for less or equal to other shops want for glass.
Yup, just removed mine. Tinted, and top stripe has extra tint as well.

When I looked at safe lite, free quote was around $300 for replacement if I recall correctly. Agree with Cheap Hobby, seems like good value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Getting the SS trim into a new seal is a nightmare!!

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

rocklaurence wrote:Getting the SS trim into a new seal is a nightmare!!
That is another great reason to have Safelite do it.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

rocklaurence wrote:Getting the SS trim into a new seal is a nightmare!!
Its super easy if you use string trimmer line to hold the grove open and pull it out as you work thr trim in
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition