Door adjustment

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Xplitive

Door adjustment

Post by Xplitive »

Installed new door seals on the ‘89. Both doors close fine.
Passenger side went in great, driver side also installed great except discovered a see through gap at the top of the door towards the front. Examining the door from the outside, the top door edge does indeed fit closer to the roofline at the rear, while the gap at the front is greater aka the problem area (something I never noticed before and the body lines are real close).
Is it possible to adjust this fit in door and, if so, how ? Everything I’ve read seems to deal with the striker, difficulty closing the door, and bulb thickness. My inner voice is saying buying a trim piece with a bigger bulb is probably less of a headache.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

SkylinePCG

Re: Door adjustment

Post by SkylinePCG »

Here’s what I did after a door swap...

I installed the doors using the hinge bolts that attach to the body. I found the doors were difficult to close, and like you, the alignment was visibly off.

Not able to access those same bolts with the door closed, I loosened up the hinge bolts that attach to the door. With it closed, there was a little wiggle room, so I manipulated the closed door until I got an even “gap” all the way around it, used some wood shims at the bottom to hold everything in place, then crawled in from the other side with an impact gun, and socket on an extension, to tighten the bolts in place.

Worked great, and the door opens and shuts like a new car.

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Ok thanks - gives me something to look for. I was looking at the door hinges earlier today and quickly dismissed them thinking, fender removal, Door panel removal etc. guess I’m going back..
Erik

SkylinePCG

Post by SkylinePCG »

The door panel does have to come off to access the hinge bolts. And they’re big torx bolts; T50 I want to say...

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I cant hang a door to save my life. Ive tried 3 doors and they are all worse than when I started :cry:

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

HAhah, the bonus I’m seeing while in there is install rubber window wipes, go through the power window switches, and (mission creep) install some speakers.
But yeah, I’m in it now and will loosen up the front hinge and striker on the pillar so may not make it any better.
Erik

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

My understanding is not to touch the hindge at the jams but only the ones in the doors. But this is coming from a Triple Door Fail....

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Good to know and even better if I had read that 5 minutes earlier. Yep, this is not that easy. Try again tomorrow.

Would removing the striker at the pillar and setting door position at the door hinge, then followed up by setting the striker be a better approach?
Erik

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Even though I prefer to wrench alone, I always have an extra set of hands for door alignment. It take lots of patience and trial and error.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD