Parking Brake Cable Grommet?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Parking Brake Cable Grommet?

Post by Fast79Chief »

I dont know if this part is still available, but I'm gonna check with you guys. The parking brake cable goes through the firewall and there is a large hole there. I am wondering what you guys have done to plug that hole. I recently replaced the cable.

Thanks a lot.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

letank

Re: Parking Brake Cable Grommet?

Post by letank »

It is not a rubber grommet, but an insulation foam material like the foam used on water pipes, that tends to desintegrate upon removal, it is roughly 2 to 3" long from memory. Seam sealer the black stuff, that stays pliable could be an alternate
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Is it that cylindrical pad that is on the new cable? I thought that was a 'bumper' of sorts to keep the cable from rubbing on the chassis where it comes in contact. I think this 'pad' actually slides along the new cable. I'll have to see if it is thick enough to fill the 1" hole in the firewall.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

letank

Post by letank »

Fast79Chief wrote:Is it that cylindrical pad that is on the new cable? I thought that was a 'bumper' of sorts to keep the cable from rubbing on the chassis where it comes in contact. I think this 'pad' actually slides along the new cable. I'll have to see if it is thick enough to fill the 1" hole in the firewall.
I do not have a new cable, so not sure of how a new cable is sold. Yes, it is padding to keep the water from getting inside the cab rather than the cable from rubbing on the firewall hole.

Anything could work, PCV valve grommet for the early model carb 2100, so 74-76 or so. Check the doorman section
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)