Body mounts, are they all the same thickness?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
wazup911

Body mounts, are they all the same thickness?

Post by wazup911 »

I was wondering if anyone knew if all the body mounts on a 69 J3000 are the same thickness. The original mounts on my truck were completely shot, some were missing and some were just strips of rubber. This last weekend I built some Polly spacers and replaces all the body mounts. I used the same size spacer for the cab, bed and core support. The bed of the truck now sits about 1/2" higher than the cab. The body lines don't line up.

I could go back and cut down the spacers for the bed and fix the problem but I was fairly certain that they should all be the height. Has anyone replaced the body mounts on a 69 truck that can tell me if all the mounts should be the same height?

Thanks.

XSapper

Re: Body mounts, are they all the same thickness?

Post by XSapper »

wazup911 wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew if all the body mounts on a 69 J3000 are the same thickness. The original mounts on my truck were completely shot, some were missing and some were just strips of rubber. This last weekend I built some Polly spacers and replaces all the body mounts. I used the same size spacer for the cab, bed and core support. The bed of the truck now sits about 1/2" higher than the cab. The body lines don't line up.

I could go back and cut down the spacers for the bed and fix the problem but I was fairly certain that they should all be the height. Has anyone replaced the body mounts on a 69 truck that can tell me if all the mounts should be the same height?

Thanks.
On the 79 I redid the bed just had rectangle pieces about 1/8" -3/16 thick.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The beds always had just a 3/16" (or so) thick piece of rubber. Whereas the cabs have big rubber bushings to isolate them from the frame. Replacing the rubber with poly may result in more road vibrations and noise getting into the cab.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You may be able to use boat guide rollers to make body mounts. https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-P ... 202-4.html These come in different lengths and diameters. Cut to length. CJ guys have used these in the past to make body mounts - I presume they are a little softer than urethane or hockey pucks.

Jeep used pieces of tire sidewall for the sill liners (bed mounting insulators). Looking at the J-series parts book, these liners are PN 670540 which is a post-WWII Willys part number. You can see a picture of a modern reproduction of that part here:

https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Side_An ... Panels.htm

These are likely made from belting, but Jeep used old tires in the day.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wazup911

Post by wazup911 »

Stuka wrote:The beds always had just a 3/16" (or so) thick piece of rubber. Whereas the cabs have big rubber bushings to isolate them from the frame. Replacing the rubber with poly may result in more road vibrations and noise getting into the cab.
Thank you, I think this is the information I need. Since the bed and cab are not the same size I will make the required adjustments to get the body lines to line back up. Thanks.