Bench Seat

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Tim75

Bench Seat

Post by Tim75 »

One of my favorite aspects of the FSJ is that essentially the body style remained the same for almost 30 years. That allows a lot of interchangeable parts. Currently I have a 1983 four door Cherokee-Pioneer model. It's very bare bones. I already did the Razor grill conversion because I do prefer the look of the 60's-70's FSJ front ends. My plan was to incorporate other aspects as a "tribute" the the early models. I have always found the center arm rest kind of useless and cumbersome and have enjoyed the look of the front bench seat. My question is: if I was to locate a bench seat will it just swap right in? And were the bench seats different from say an early wagoneer or the J-Trucks or were they essentially the same?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Bench Seat

Post by Stuka »

I have a 70's J-Truck bench in my '81. Only the outer seat mounts are used, so the floor changes between 79 and 80 aren't impacted by it. Not sure if 60's ones will work or not.

However, be ready to dump some money into the bench. Mine is so bouncy its actually not nice to drive. Really needs to be redone. That or stuff a ton of foam under it for some support.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Tim75

Post by Tim75 »

Thank you, Stuka for the quick reply!

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

All correct Stuka. I've got a 76 Wagoneer with a front bench seat. I love it and bought it for that reason alone. The only thing I will add is this. There are several bolts that are taken out of the hump for bucket seats and arm rest that need to be capped somehow to keep water out of the cab. If you're only using the outer 4 bolts for the bench the other holes will be empty. Either reinstall the bolts all the way to do something to seal off the holes.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it