Vent window replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Fire1

Vent window replacement

Post by Fire1 »

The front vent window frames are rusted on my 1982 4dr NT Cherokee and need replacing. Are there any after market alternatives? I'm in Australia and these vehicles are very rare so junkyard salvage is a remote possibility.
1980 J20 258 4 speed, stock suspension
1982 Cherokee NT 360 auto, stock suspension

Tripwire

Re: Vent window replacement

Post by Tripwire »

i assume you refer to the triangular shaped windows? or the whole assy with the long channel that supports the main window as well. there are no aftermarket ones - might the be the same as the ones on full size wagoneers? I could pull a set for you...they are NO FUN to remove or replace so a bit of labor is involved and as you know shipping will be killer expensive ( have shipped to Oz before)

send me a PM and we can chat

steve
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

letank

Post by letank »

Fire1 wrote:The front vent window frames are rusted on my 1982 4dr NT Cherokee and need replacing. Are there any after market alternatives? I'm in Australia and these vehicles are very rare so junkyard salvage is a remote possibility.

if it is only the triangular frame that is rusted, you can swap only the triangular window with its frame. I scavenged a whole unit, but in the process I bent the rectangular window support, so it was a lot easier to remove the rivet at the front of the triangular window, remove the lower nut taking care to reinstall with the right order the various washer and install a new rivet... I have pict somewhere

and installed

The bottom stud, on the left is the newer design after 1978 or about, on the right is the old style. the left pict shows the wing window inside the frame assembly

and detail

I did not take a pict of the rivet, I used a regular rivet , I can take and will take a pict later, but you can get the real thing, I have a link somewhere
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

Thanks for the information guys. As far as I can see it's only the chrome frame that's rusted. My big challenge will be locating the replacements.

letank

Post by letank »

Fire1 wrote:Thanks for the information guys. As far as I can see it's only the chrome frame that's rusted. My big challenge will be locating the replacements.
so do you have the chrome on the right side (74 version) or the non-chrome rusty version that is on the left side (85 version) ? as you have an export version, we , or I am not sure which version was on the export model.

I tried to pull the glass on my not really rusty version, but the latch stud is busted off the frame of the vent window
Michel

Topic author
Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

Mine's the chrome frame on the right, 1982 export assembled in the Brisbane Jeep plant. Also have a 1980 J20 with the same problem.

letank

Post by letank »

Fire1 wrote:Mine's the chrome frame on the right, 1982 export assembled in the Brisbane Jeep plant. Also have a 1980 J20 with the same problem.
So you have a half frame with the screwed hinge on the slanted part... I thought that those were used prior to 79. If you are interested I can try to find mine in the parts bin and see how well it is and post picts. I swaped doors some years ago, so the 74 has the new style vent windows.
Michel

Topic author
Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

Sorry Letank, I was wrong not sure what I was thinking my frames are the same as the black one on the left only mine is chrome. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I tried to upload a photo as an attachment but it wouldn't work.

letank

Post by letank »

Fire1 wrote:Sorry Letank, I was wrong not sure what I was thinking my frames are the same as the black one on the left only mine is chrome. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I tried to upload a photo as an attachment but it wouldn't work.
thank you for the update, I did not find the spare older style vent window, so at this moment I feel releaved that I do not have to dig deeper in the spare parts section.

But next time I find one at the JY , I can pick one up, It should fit in a legal flat rate envelopp, which is around $38 for shipping, for a 15" x 9.5" and less than 4lbs. Of course no FSJ in the local yards.
Michel

Topic author
Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

If you can get 2 for both sides would be great. Just let me know whenever. You're a champ.