Exhaust Manifold and YPipe

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jfliege

Exhaust Manifold and YPipe

Post by jfliege »

So I have been "working" on the exhaust manifold and ypipe for over a year now while my Grand Wagoneer sits idle in the garage. I have finally got it all together and something in the manifold is not seated right. So the old ypipe was to narrow by more than an inch and the new ypipe is to wideby less than half an inch. I have brand new manifolds with new gaskets and the leak is right at the engine. I feal like the negative or outward pressure of the new ypipe may have warped\crushed the gaskets. Anyone have tricks to get everything to seat correctly, aside from heating the ypipe while connecting? I have to be on my back under the Waggy within inches of the pipe when connecting it to the manifold. I keep thinking I may be better to go with a different gasket type than the metal ones.

I am getting close to just taking it to a shop but I have avoided a shop since I replaced the motor myself and it feels like a point of pride at this point. I know this would be easier if it were on a lift. :-?

Thanks in advance for your advice
87' grand wagoneer with a rusty's 4"
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

Tripwire

Re: Exhaust Manifold and YPipe

Post by Tripwire »

Did not quite get the issue with the fitment - there is supposed to be a spring loaded butterfly valve spacer on the pipe between the manafold and the Y pipe, are you missing that?

steve
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State