Stuck in 4-low

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bryon

Stuck in 4-low

Post by Bryon »

I have had my ‘89 GW for about 5 months now, and I had never put her in 4WD before.
So, today while I was waiting for a friend I decided to try it out.

I moved the vacuum lEver to 4WD and head the hiss, but the Jeep didn’t seem to go into 4WD. So with the lEver in 4WD I pulled the lEver on the floor into 4-Low and felt it engage and then I drove around the block and it was very much in 4-Low.

Once I was back in my parking spot I tried to get her out of low with no avail, and I have read about letting it roll while putting it into low, but I haven’t read about this working to get it out. I don’t want to grind anything up trying to get it back to 2WD.

After trying a few times I got out and looked underneath and there were several little wet spots of ATF. I looked up and saw the arm not wanting to move when pulling the low lever, and the mounting bracket was flexing when trying to get the linkage to move.

Anybody with any experience with this?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Stuck in 4-low

Post by Stuka »

First, never ever drive in low range on pavement. You are asking to break parts.

To get it out, go in reverse 10ft or so, and towards the end of that, shift into neutral *while moving* and then move the transfer case selector. It should pop right out. Basically its bound up from driving on a high traction surface.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Or you can jack up one front wheel. Might be an eye-opener when it comes off the ground.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

I drove forward for several feet and was able to get the low lever into neutral, but had to turn the engine off to put it into hi, tried in neutral and park-both made a grinding sound when I tried that.

Once I started it back up after getting her into hi I switched the dash switch and the 4wd light went off finally! Back in 2wd!

Thanks for the replies

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

Bryon wrote:I drove forward for several feet and was able to get the low lever into neutral, but had to turn the engine off to put it into hi, tried in neutral and park-both made a grinding sound when I tried that.

Once I started it back up after getting her into hi I switched the dash switch and the 4wd light went off finally! Back in 2wd!

Thanks for the replies
FYI when shifting the low-range unit there's a general procedure given in the owner's manual and TSM, follow it and you won't be stuck grinding gears or being forced to turn your truck off with a correctly functioning unit. Main thing is to be barely moving at around 5mph with trans shifted in neutral, and as moving the low-range shift lever do not stop in neutral.
1979 J10, 360/QT

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

If you haven't checked the tcase fluid in a while, you might want to. If you you have never changed the tcase fluid, I would do that too.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac