Coolant seeping between intake and block

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
hanger

Coolant seeping between intake and block

Post by hanger »

So I just got back from taking my 87 GW to Wyoming Black Hills and knew before I left I had a mild coolant leak at the front of the engine. I thought it was leaking at the thermostat gasket. I had replaced the thermostat several months ago and had to replace the gasket once cause I hadn’t removed all the old material the first time. Anyhow, I found the leak is below the thermostat between the intake manifold and the engine block. It’s only seeping at this time leaking about 1 pint during the 2250 miles we drove. Would anyone recommend trying any radiator stop leak on this or just toss that idea and replace the gasket itself. There’s about 4 little runs down the front of the block where it’s leaking. Again, not a bad leak but is starting to collect on top of the water pump.

68glad

Re: Coolant seeping between intake and block

Post by 68glad »

I wouldn't use stop leak unless it was an absolute emergency. replace gasket
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

I wouldn't use stop leak unless it was an absolute emergency. replace gasket

edit: not sure why it double posted
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

If it's plausible, I'd 2nd 68glad, and replace the gasket. Stop Leak is good in a pinch to get you to a "better place", but wouldn't regard it as a viable long term solution.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I am trying to picture this and can't. Can you share a picture and point at the leak? It is not uncommon to get a leak on timing cover where the water jackets are but I can't imagine coolant running down the block from the intake. Thanks
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I hsve 2 coolant leaks on my intake that run down thr block in thr back... its from both of the last bolts left and right of thr intske.. its so slow though i hsvent gotten around to fixing it.. i should lol but im too lazy to remove the intake manifold. I have this odd feeling the bolts will break off. Done it once on my 5.9 zj only took me a day to take off and replace gaskets.. broke a bolt and thankfully a pair of channle locks on the stud got it out.. but still.. even made a video...

I should probly fix this before it leaks inside the engine...

If yours is leaking from the intake thrn its ptobly the front water jackets on the manifold.. which means the whole manifold needs to come off.. like mine. I mean ive put 25k miles on mine since i noticed the leak and i just refill when needed... but thats bad practice and i know it lol

https://youtu.be/efOxK4mZNlM
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
hanger

Post by hanger »

So a little update to this. Talking with a buddy of mine he suggested checking to see if the bolts were loose near the leak. Put a wrench to them and yes they were a little loose. Tightened them up and went for a drive a couple days later and I wasn’t able to detect any coolant seeping anymore. Possibly case closed. Thanks for the advice guys.