Anybody modify a GW dash for aftermarket gauges?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
PUDS

Anybody modify a GW dash for aftermarket gauges?

Post by PUDS »

As the title says, anybody have pics of a modified GW dash with Autometer or equivalent round gauges? I really want to upgrade all of my gauges and don't know how to do it with this final edition dash, thinking I need to convert to the older style dash and cluster to make it look right.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

j10jim

Re: Anybody modify a GW dash for aftermarket gauges?

Post by j10jim »

older style gauges (1980 dash)
ImageImage

What I have now (1964 Dash)
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

"Converting" to the older style dash requires removal of the entire dashboard assembly and all related parts. Seems like a lot of work just to change gauges.

The Dakota Digital gauges sold by BJ's Offroad might be a better (and quicker) solution....
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
PUDS

Post by PUDS »

So I can get an older style dash like posted above by J10Jim for cheap with all of the cluster included. I realize it's likely a pain to pull the current dash and replace it, but my bigger concern is actually switches etc. I'm assuming most switches on the dash can be replaced by an aftermarket unit if they can't be added neatly to the older dash

1988 GW 360/727/NP229
4" BJ'S Lift
Thorley Headers/Magnaflow Exh
Edelbrock Intake
Fitech TBI (in the works)
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill
///This is a project vehicle///

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Installed speed but gauges in my 82 cherokee

1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

PUDS wrote:So I can get an older style dash like posted above by J10Jim for cheap with all of the cluster included. I realize it's likely a pain to pull the current dash and replace it, but my bigger concern is actually switches etc. I'm assuming most switches on the dash can be replaced by an aftermarket unit if they can't be added neatly to the older dash
I think the only magic switch is the tailgate window. This would be a good time to rewire it with relays. Heater controls may be different.

What I did was weld up all the existing holes in the dash so I could put whatever switches I want where I want them.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.