Frame Boxing Kit?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ProTouring442

Frame Boxing Kit?

Post by ProTouring442 »

Does anyone make a frame boxing kit? I thought I had seen one somewhere, but...

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Frame Boxing Kit?

Post by Stuka »

I do not know of any kit. A few users here have done theirs, but they have been all home fabbed. Although the results are really good. From super flexy frame, to zero flex.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The thing you're thinking of may have been the frame repair kit that BJs used to sell. It didn't box the frame, it just added metal where Grand Wags frame rot at the gas tank. But the way the patch pieces were cut I can see it looking like a frame boxing kit.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else I saw someone made pieces with holes stamped in for strength but to keep the weight down. It was more of a universal kit and it might have been on a Scrambler build I saw it. I'm sure any fab company could make it for you if you gave the specs for what you want. I like the idea of being weight conscious while adding strength, these beasts are heavy enough as is!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Might cost less to buy an inexpensive plasma cutter and cut the pieces yourself, rather than pay a shop to do it. Does not take much of a cutter to go through 1/8" plate. Certainly if you are capable of welding in the boxing, you are capable of cutting out the pieces. "If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it."

I gave you a longer answer to this question on IFSJA.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

tgreese wrote:Might cost less to buy an inexpensive plasma cutter and cut the pieces yourself, rather than pay a shop to do it. Does not take much of a cutter to go through 1/8" plate. Certainly if you are capable of welding in the boxing, you are capable of cutting out the pieces. "If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it."

I gave you a longer answer to this question on IFSJA.
I already have a plasma cutter, so cutting my own isn't a big deal. I just figured if there was a kit, it would make it easier.