Stainless Steel Rockers?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jameswgw

Stainless Steel Rockers?

Post by jameswgw »

Has anyone used these or similar on a Wagoneer? If you have, how did they work out for you? And can you post pics?

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/stainl ... 1974-1991/
Current Project: 1979 Wagoneer (Not mine)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Stainless Steel Rockers?

Post by Stuka »

So are those just stainless covers? Not actual replacements?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
jameswgw

Post by jameswgw »

Yes, it says they glue on using Hi-Performance 3M Adhesive. Not sure how good that would work.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

jameswgw wrote:Yes, it says they glue on using Hi-Performance 3M Adhesive. Not sure how good that would work.
If the paint underneath is clean, that 3m adhesive will keep the rockers in place for years. BJs kit provides the same adhesive the factories use and once the rocker is pressed against the body, it ain't coming loose without a heat gun and solvents. I believe they use 50Lb/square inch style and it's strong as hell.

I put a rocker kit on my dad's Dodge 2500 and it fit fairly good except ahead of the rear axle. I had to employ some 2x4 blocks and some serious pushing to get the lower edges to contact the body near the pinch weld. With all that tension the rockers are still in place 5 years later.

If your sheet metal isn't straight or has bad paint/rust bubbles etc. you might consider either fixing it first before adding this kit.
I wish they made this kit for 2 doors... :cry:
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
jameswgw

Post by jameswgw »

there is almost no rust bubbles, but there is a hole rusted out about 8x2 in. I've never done any welding. would patching it with bondo first be good enough?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

jameswgw wrote:there is almost no rust bubbles, but there is a hole rusted out about 8x2 in. I've never done any welding. would patching it with bondo first be good enough?
As long as the hole is flush or a bit recessed or isn't too close to the edges of the rocker you should be good with some metal cleanup and something to remove the rust and keep it from coming back. I wouldn't suggest using filler unless you have some sort of patch behind it to seal the bondo from moisture. Since you're apparently looking to hide the rust hole rather than mud it up, you might consider using fiberglass matting on to close the hole rather than using mud. I had a rusted out and damaged fender flare that I fixed with a square piece of sheet steel from Home Depot and welded it in. If you're wanting to fix that rusted out section you could invest in a MAPP or propane torch and a stick or two of flux covered brazing rod and do it up fairly easily. It's not as hard as most people think and you can do some amazing repairs with simple materials.

Here are a few photos showing my flare and quarter repair. Tools were a welder, tin snips, hammer and dollies, cardboard, angle grinder, sanding board n blocks and some filler. The repair has lasted just about 5 years and I only recently saw some rust crinkles coming through the paint. My fault, I got in a hurry and didn't use any rust converter/killer.

Basics:
Cut out all rusted metal, clean to bare steel.
Make a patch template from cardboard or similar.
Fit the template to either match the hole or use a stepper tool to create a recess to lay the patch in.
Weld or braze the patch in and blend well using as little filler as possible.
prime, seal and then paint.

After that, you can add your rocker kit and not have to worry about the rust monster rearing his head for a long time.
If I can do it, so can you :)

Hope this helps you!

Jim

Topic author
jameswgw

Post by jameswgw »

Thanks for all your help Jim. While I've got you here, do you know of any websites that sell original style wagoneer bumper? All I can find are the custom tube style bumpers. And do you know if any Cherokee bumpers are interchangeable?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'm sorry, I have no idea who/where you might find them new/Repro online. There may be, but I'm not aware of them.

I go used via the various jeep related forums, craigslist, Pick n Pulls and wrecking yards for them.

Assuming you're asking about bumpers for your 74 Waggy, here is the interchange for the front and rear:

CHEROKEE 74-78 chrome

J-SERIES TRUCK 63-78 chrome

WAGONEER 63-78 chrome

Rear bumpers:
CHEROKEE 74 chrome, w/bumper shocks

CHEROKEE 75 w/bumper shocks

WAGONEER 74 chrome, w/bumper shocks

WAGONEER 75 w/bumper shocks

CHEROKEE 74 chrome, w/o bumper shocks; w/rub strip

CHEROKEE 75 w/o bumper shocks; w/rub strip

CHEROKEE 76-78 w/rub strip

J-SERIES TRUCK 62-72 (conv cab), Townside pickup, chrome, w/rub strip

J-SERIES TRUCK 73 chrome, w/o pintle hook; Townside pickup, w/rub strip

WAGONEER 62-73 chrome, w/rub strip

WAGONEER 74 chrome, w/o bumper shocks; w/rub strip

WAGONEER 75 w/o bumper shocks; w/rub strip

WAGONEER 76-78 w/rub strip

CHEROKEE 74 chrome, w/o bumper shocks; w/o rub strip

CHEROKEE 75 w/o bumper shocks; w/o rub strip

CHEROKEE 76-78 w/o rub strip

J-SERIES TRUCK 62-72 (conv cab), Townside pickup, chrome, w/o rub strip

J-SERIES TRUCK 73 chrome, w/o pintle hook; Townside pickup, w/o rub strip

WAGONEER 62-73 chrome, w/o rub strip

WAGONEER 74 chrome, w/o bumper shocks; w/o rub strip

WAGONEER 75 w/o bumper shocks; w/o rub strip

WAGONEER 76-78 w/o rub strip

I believe in 79 and later the bumpers were different due to a frame change but forget the details. I did put a 89 GW one piece set on my 78 but again, cannot remember what I had to do to make em fit.
Stuka has one of the later bumpers on his J-Truck so you might ask him about the details.

I wish I could be of more help.

Jim

Topic author
jameswgw

Post by jameswgw »

Its a 79 wag, not 74. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist, ebay, and the pull a part near me, but so far no luck. And you've been a lot of help man, and not just with this topic but my others as well, so thanks again.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

jameswgw wrote:Its a 79 wag, not 74. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist, ebay, and the pull a part near me, but so far no luck. And you've been a lot of help man, and not just with this topic but my others as well, so thanks again.
Sorry, I got your year confused.

If nothing shakes out I can talk to my nephew who works for Mark at J&W Jeep and see what the price would be. PnP would definitely be your best price but those FSJs just don't show up that often any more :(

Jim

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I especially like how the RAM represents the product for a FSJ. :roll:

This is the only Wag I have ever seen with those pimp my ride SS rocker covers and it is dead and gone now. I think Ken got them from JC Whitney back in the day...
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac