8 Lug NT Wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iceman0502

8 Lug NT Wagoneer

Post by Iceman0502 »

I do a decent amount of Light towing (under 3K) with my wagoner and wanted to upgrade the rear axle to a full float as my AMC 20 will need a rebuild soon. I got a lead on a rear Dana 60 FF with 8 lug axles and am able to get a hold of 3/4 ton brake caliper brackets and 8 lug hubs to convert the front.

My question: The rear axle is going to be narrowed to fit the NT stance. So what should the correct WMS for the rear axle be?

Truck Specs
82 Wagoneer
2” spring lift
1” body lift
16x8 Wheels
245x75x16 (aprox 31x10.5)

I believe the front 8 lug conversion adds 1 inch to each hub, so the front axle wms goes from 60” to 62”. Does that mean the rear should be narrowed to 62” as wheel or leave it stock at 59-60”?

Going overall widetrack would be great, but the dreaded rear flare question comes into play. I don’t want to cut the flares off.

Also if anyone has pictures of this setup, it would be great.
Thanks

ClovisMan

Re: 8 Lug NT Wagoneer

Post by ClovisMan »

You could save yourself some money and skip the Dana 60 8 lug axle and get a 14bolt rear axle from a Chevy Cab and Chassis. It already has the correct WMS and comes in gearing from 3.54 to 4.10 so you will not have to have the axle cut-down to match your front. Of course this is a centered axle so you have to make sure your driveshaft will clear your gas tank, I know some Wagoneers with the QT have an offset rearend.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Stuka
Site Admin

8 Lug NT Wagoneer

Post by Stuka »

Your stock rear axle is more than strong enough for that amount of towing.

Your stock front axle is 59" wide, and the rear is 57.5" wide. A WT Cherokee rear axle is 62" wide, their front is 64" (give or take a bit).

A wider axle does make for a more stable towing platform.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

a CandC 14 bolt might be the correct width as they are pretty narrow.

But I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want to just go 'full width'.

Pic of my old waggy on a regular 14bolt, D44 HP and 35" tires on H2 rims.

As you can see, it's hardly 'too wide'.

Topic author
Iceman0502

Post by Iceman0502 »

I guess my bigger issue with going "full width" is the fender flares. Spent too much time doing body work and painting it too cut the fenders open. Fronts can use WT flares, but they're rare for my area and would have to buy fiberglass for $400. Rear flares are a bigger headache that needs lots of excedrine. And dont like the look of bushwackers.

Something bothers me when the tires are much wider than the flares or right under. I tend to load a good amount of weight in the cargo area as well and really drop the rear suspension. The flares would dig right into the tires unless the bump stops are really close.

Also, my current setup is about 2 inches with 1 body. Its the perfect setup for everyday driving. My wife is only 5' 2" and would have a hard time reaching the inside tailgate latch. My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and would have to throw her into the truck.

I figured these axles would give me bigger rotors up front and a care free rear axle that will also have disc brakes.

Sorry, I'm picky but am working with what I got and also time vs money.
:fsj:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, I think this may be your only option without going full width.

For the front, convert it to 8 lug using Jeep/GM D44HD outers. Its a pretty easy process and the parts are fairly common.

For the rear, a C&C 14FF *should* work (its 63.5" wide, normal 14FF is 67"). But you will most likely need to convert it to disc brakes to clear the springs. Actually, I am nearly positive that you will need to. The axle housing is the same between an SRW and a C&C. Its the hugs that are different, which pushes the drums back closer to the springs.

You may have to make up some of the difference with wheels that have more back spacing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

Sounds cool to me. Losing a stock axle while towing can't be fun