LS swap & 4L60E reverse lights

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
81waggy

LS swap & 4L60E reverse lights

Post by 81waggy »

Like the post says, I swapped a 350 TBI & 4l60e into my 81 waggy. I already figured out that you need to swap in a new brake light switch to get the tranny to work right, but still having an issue with the reverse lights.

I haven't bothered to track the wires down yet, could just need a new neutral safety switch.

Has anyone had this issue when doing this swap?

...and yes, I have good light bulbs in it.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Markstrimaran

Re: LS swap & 4L60E reverse lights

Post by Markstrimaran »

81waggy wrote:Like the post says, I swapped a 350 TBI & 4l60e into my 81 waggy. I already figured out that you need to swap in a new brake light switch to get the tranny to work right, but still having an issue with the reverse lights.

I haven't bothered to track the wires down yet, could just need a new neutral safety switch.

Hey, how many hour did it take to pull your old motor and tranny? Just asking, I was quoted, $ 850 10 hour job???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

The reverse switch originally was part of the original tranny, so with the new tranny you would need to use a new reverse light switch. I ended up using a Lokar unit when I did my 700R4 swap. Being that its a electronically controlled trans, im sure it already has a sensor and output, although you may need to add a relay into the mix to get it to work. Im sure someone actually knowledgable w/ the 4l60e will chime in.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I have the LT1/4L60E in mine. I didn't have reverse lights for a long time.. I finally put a B&M floor shifter in that has wiring for the reverse light. Instead of trying to get the right signal from the harness, I tied the wire on the shifter into the reverse lights. I do not have a neutral safety switch, but leave that up to the operator (me) to know what gear I am in.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

My 79 has a reverse and neutral safety switch at the bottom of the column near the floor so I didn't actually have to change anything. Maybe this changed for the 80's though I can't remember.
The black box on the side of the 4l60e has the switches in it so you can just use that. This is what I was gong to do until I realized that the stock ones were not on the tranny.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

Markstrimaran wrote:
81waggy wrote:Like the post says, I swapped a 350 TBI & 4l60e into my 81 waggy. I already figured out that you need to swap in a new brake light switch to get the tranny to work right, but still having an issue with the reverse lights.

Hey, how many hour did it take to pull your old motor and tranny? Just asking, I was quoted, $ 850 10 hour job???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Topic author
81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

Markstrimaran -
It took about 6hrs to remove and 12 to reinstall. And that doesn't include the electrical work to the harness, etc. That's what they charged me but I'm pretty sure it took them longer than that. To be honest though, this swap was a little more than the shop could handle. They are jeep guys and wanted the opportunity, but I don't think I would ever use them again. They butchered the harness and added a 3rd fusebox (where my AC duct extension goes) which is going to be another $500 for me to get straightened out.

I pulled the jeep motor myself. it took a little longer than I planned because I didn't seperate the engine/Trans/transfer case. Pulled it all out as one piece. Also only had a 1/2 ton engine hoist that didn't have the height to get it all the way over the front end. I think it took my dad and I about a day to do it though. I would think someone who knows what they're doing should be able to have it out in ~6 hours.
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Topic author
81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

jpswapmohn wrote:I have the LT1/4L60E in mine. I didn't have reverse lights for a long time.. I finally put a B&M floor shifter in that has wiring for the reverse light. Instead of trying to get the right signal from the harness, I tied the wire on the shifter into the reverse lights. I do not have a neutral safety switch, but leave that up to the operator (me) to know what gear I am in.
i pulled a floor shifter out of a Camaro with a 4l60 snd put it in the jeep. I think it still has the safety switch attached. If getting the wiring to light them up was going to be a hassle, tying into the shifter was going to be my thought too.
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

Mustang Shooter

Post by Mustang Shooter »

If you are using the floor shifter from as 4th gen camaro, yes the n/p/r switch sbould be on the unit.
Do you have a diagram? I have a complete 94 svc/ wiring diagram.
I also have the LT1 4L60e combo, I used the engine and harness from my totaled 94 and re worked it myself.
There are 6 wires/ pins if I remember right without looking.
You will need to splice your Jeep reverse light circuit into the wiring on the switch allong with the starter circuit if you want neutral safety.
If you were still using the column you would need the column switch for a 94 truck but, I am not sure how well it would work if you still have the 727 shifter detent in the Jeep column.
Holler if I don't make sense or can be any other help.
Dan

Mustang Shooter

Post by Mustang Shooter »

OK, did some checking and looked at the diagrams.
Yes, there were 6 wires that went to the Transmission Position Switch on the floor shifter of a 4th Gen Camaro.
These are their original descriptions

A - black/ white - Ground
B - orange/ black - Park Neutral Position Signal in PCM
C - brown - To Ignition Switch
D - light green - To Back Up Lamp
E - yellow - To Starter Solenoid
F - yellow - To Theft Deterrent Relay

For your ignition circuit:
From ignition switch to bin E and from bin F to your Start Solenoid "S" Terminal

For back up light circuit:
Jeep back up lamp Power to bin C and from bin D to back up lamp circuit.

The bin identification is molded into the side of the harness connector.
If you don't have the connector for the harness to the Trans Position Switch the order is A from the top of the switch to F at the bottom.

Dan