LS swap in my truck

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
swampedge

LS swap in my truck

Post by swampedge »

Installing an LS engine in my truck I just bought out of Texas. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

44bz

Re: 5.3 LS swap in my truck.

Post by 44bz »

Looks like a good find with the original wheel covers and west coast mirrors. Is it a 69?

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: LS swap in my truck

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Sweet. 4.6, 5.3, or 6.0??

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Subscribed- I’m waiting on doing the same thing!

Topic author
swampedge

5.3 LS swap

Post by swampedge »

Putting the engine in the truck I just bought out of Texas. ImageImage

Topic author
swampedge

Post by swampedge »

It’s a 5.3. I am making these mounts specifically to bolt into Kaiser era trucks and wagons. I hope to be able to sell a mount that a person can bolt is as the originals did without having to use a welder. That way anyone can upgrade. I have pure bred Jeeps in my collection and love them but if I want to drive across the country this is the way to do it.

Topic author
swampedge

Post by swampedge »

ImageImageImageImageImage

MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

What's the radiator out of?

billylight

Post by billylight »

I’m digging how far back you got it to sit. Looks like you are right up against the firewall. Mine in my wagoneer had interface issues with the brake booster and heater core so I’m about two inches further forward than I would have liked.

Topic author
swampedge

LS swap in my truck

Post by swampedge »

The radiator is an aluminum 28” crossflow I used in my 454 build several years ago. My passenger side exhaust manifold flange touches the heat shield so I will modify that area and my valve cover is better than an inch off of the firewall. I center my engines off of the radiator with the shroud in place measuring side to side the fan from face of radiator and equal distance in the shroud to fan tip. Level across the top and 8* down the Buick 350’s are 7* down. ImageImage
I’ve installed a factory Buick 350 radiator and reproduction shroud. The engine could be moved 2” further forward but the fan clutch would only be 1/4” away from the radiator. Image

I will post more later.

Topic author
swampedge

LS swap in my truck

Post by swampedge »

[quote="swampedge"]The radiator is an aluminum 28” crossflow I used in my 454 build several years ago. My passenger side exhaust manifold flange touches the heat shield so I will modify that area and my valve cover is better than an inch off of the firewall. I center my engines off of the radiator with the shroud in place measuring side to side the fan from face of radiator and equal distance in the shroud to fan tip. Level across the top and 8* down the Buick 350’s are 7* down. ImageImage
I’ve installed a factory Buick 350 radiator and reproduction shroud. The engine could be moved 2” further forward so that half of the LS fan would be in the shroud but the fan clutch would only be 1/4” away from the radiator. Image
You can see shiny areas above each bolt hole. Those bosses were removed so I could clock the transfer case up and even though this is a passengers side drop it required a drivers side drop clocking ring.

I made this tool from a lawn mower trailer hitch ball. Cut the stem and drilled a hole and welded it to an air chisel arbor. I needed to clearance the floor pan under the passengers seat a bit so this planished it nicely. Lot better than a three pound hammer.

This is how high the output is so that it clears the factory cross member.

The truck is getting a four inch lift so the shaft should clear fine. Image

You can see the output in the above pic. The front differential housing is in the front of the pic.

More pics of firewall clearance in relation to exhaust manifolds

. ImageImage

Below is heat shield clearance to front output flange, you may have to trim this to clock the transfer case high enough, I did. Image

Next image shows transmission spacer. Image

Next image is the load spreader required as one hole you have to drill opens up edge of large dowel hole in middle of cross member. I think that large hole is there to locate cross member in the die that shapes the cross member.

Last edited by swampedge on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
swampedge

Post by swampedge »

44BZ I missed your question. It’s a 70. 69 back manufactured date trucks have the Gladiator grill while 70 up to the plastic grills were razors. 69 also has a reflector on the side of the front fender and 70 up had front and rear side marker lights.