Inboarding With Sliders Instead of Shackles

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
orionstarsin

Inboarding With Sliders Instead of Shackles

Post by orionstarsin »

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I tried the search function and came came up with nothing. Im wondering if anyone with a fsj has ever used sliders when inboarding their springs?

I just finally did my SOA lift using a chevy 10 bolt and i got a 14b bolt (sf ) for free with it.

The reason i am asking is that I have read that inboarding will raise the rear higher than the front SOA, i dont want to have to get lift spring for front to level it out so i though sliders would make it a little lower because it can hug the frame and i can weld them on flat and not have to mess around with shackle angles.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Inboarding With Sliders Instead of Shackles

Post by rocklaurence »

I like the idea of Sliders. Therre's a guy that has a heavily modified truck with sliders in the rear of the front springs. It is a low profile alternative to a shackle.

Topic author
orionstarsin

Post by orionstarsin »

Im really interested in them. Is there a reason more peole dont use them?
Sorry My phone freaked out and posted 4 times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You really want to move your springs inboard? That seems like exactly the wrong approach if you want your rig to be driveable. The further inboard the springs are, the more body roll you will have for a given spring stiffness. The early CJs have this problem, with the springs far inboard they need very stiff springs to control body roll. Go way softer on the springs, stiffen the frame, and they will flop pretty easily. Sudden weight transfer is bad. In 1976, Jeep changed the CJ frame to move the rear springs outboard and control body roll while allowing a softer spring rate and a better ride. The Wagoneer has an advantage in the height/width ratio is better with the larger vehicle, and the spring rate can be acceptable and the front springs can still be far enough inboard to allow a decent turning radius. The rear springs are way out by the tires, for a reason.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
orionstarsin

Post by orionstarsin »

i would only be inboarding to the same width as the 3/4 ton chevy at 42 inches. But stiffening the springs is a good idea maybe i could add a another main leaf after inboarding.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

It's not your phone - it's the board. Click submit once, and if nothing happens, click back and your post will be there.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
orionstarsin

Post by orionstarsin »

Thank you. good to know. i hopefully wont be making that mistake again.