custom suspension/motor mounts

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
81waggy

custom suspension/motor mounts

Post by 81waggy »

Ok, here's one for ya,

I've got a TBI 350 with universal motor mounts from Novak-Adapt.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/eng ... s/mmx-wc1/

Drove over a few speed bumps and heard a a good clunk when the springs compressed. I know my springs are shot and just assumed that it was the axle hitting the bump stops. Turns out its the top of my differential hitting my motor mount. :shock:

Right now, I've got about 1 1/2" clearance between the diff and mount, and about 2 1/2" from my axle to bump stop. I know getting a longer bump stop will save my motor mount and 1 1/2" of travel isn't a whole lot.

So my questions are this:

Do anyone know of a prefab motor mount for a 350 that will provide the clearance needed?

Or (sacrilege) does anyone know of a 2wd front end set-up that will work on an 81 Wagoneer? I was hoping to go lower with the suspension than higher, and I don't tow or go off road anyway.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

RamJetFSJ

Re: custom suspension/motor mounts

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Do you have a photo showing the mount and clearance? I have something similar to this one, and I cant imagine the axle making contact with any part of it.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products ... g-engines/
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

Here ya go. There's about 1 1/2" clearance between the top of the differential and the motor mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Universal fit usually means doesn't fit worth a dam. Either you are doing a suspension lift or redoing the mount.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Yep, I can definitely see why you're having some clearance issues w/ that setup and no lift. The mounts I posted above should give you about 3-4" more space above the pumpkin. Basically the mount comes straight out from the block right above the bottom motor mount bolt (or about 1-1/2" above the oil pan). That should give you an idea how much more room youll have.

I dont think I have my motor in exactly the same spot as you, and I have 4" lift springs, but this pic may help.
IMG_5578.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power