Future 79 Cherokee Build Questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ulfhednar

Future 79 Cherokee Build Questions

Post by ulfhednar »

Hopefully this is posted in the right section. I wasnt sure if I should just write everything in one post or do an individual post for each question, but here it goes all together.

I am new to all of this and this will be my first FSJ build which I will not be starting until December so I am currently in the planning phase. I have been doing a lot of reading and looking through build threads and have come up with a few things I would like some input on.

I will be working with a 1979 cherokee chief which afaik currently has a 360/th400/quadratrac tc.

My plan is to swap in a 5.3l v8/ 6l80 transmisson/np242 tc.
Regarding wiring:
Electrical stuff is probably what Im having the most issues understanding. So when doing a powertrain swap for an fsj, or any vehicle I assume, the stock wiring harness for all accessories such as for example, the AC/lighting/dash/column controls is plugged into the harness that comes from the donor engine? Is that right?

Also, regarding the electronics. Combing through the harness is to eliminate unneeded wiring to accessories/functions that do not exist in our jeeps? And coding the ECU/TCU is again to eliminate certain functions that do not exist/arent needed for our jeeps?

Regarding Axles:
Since my jeep has both axles with passenger side differentials I will need to swap in later model fsj axles from a j10 or a cherokee that have the driver side differentials. From what I can tell these axles can be found in 1980+ vehicles. Would axles such as these be direct bolt in, or do I need to cut off/re-weld any suspension mounting points?

Regarding Dash:
-Im planning on using an early model fsj dash in place of the current 3 gauge dash thats in the vehicle now. What are my options on what to do with the passenger side dash speaker? Dont really want to use it, nor do I want to weld metal plate over it to make it flush. Seems like a waste of space that way. Any ideas?

Regarding Fuel tank:
-Another member here seems to have reused the original fuel tank from his 1979 cherokee when installing a centered rear output transfer case and had no clearance issues with stock tank and passenger side diff driveshaft? It didnt rub, but it was tight. I might just try it out and hope it fits the way I like it, but has anyone swapped in a later model fsj tank that comes with a rear centered diff and a centered transfer case such as an np229 or something? How difficult would this be?
-Nylon fuel lines a good idea? Or is metal better? Braided steel?

Regarding Driveshafts:
Novak makes an adapter to bolt the np242 to the 6l80, and since Ill be getting an NP242 from a v8 durango/dakota donor vehicle with a 32spline input/output to match the 32 spline output on the 6l80 transmission im hoping to use the dakota/durango driveshafts instead of the stock jeep ones, but im not sure if they will match the later model jeep differentials. Any knowledge on if this would be a compatible/no modification bold in driveshaft integration?

Brakes:
I plan on using 1980 eldorado calipers and I want to retain the emergency brake. Disregarding all of the actual brake components on the hub, all I need for this conversion is new e-brake cables?

Windows:
Has anyone used one piece glass to eliminate the vent windows?

That might be all ive got right now. Im slowly reading through every thread on the modified FSJ tech page. So far im on page 21. Will probably be done by the time I am ready to start work.

I appreciate all input.
Last edited by ulfhednar on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Re: Future 79 Cherokee Build Questions

Post by tgreese »

NP242C? Does such a thing exist? You either mean the NP242J or the NP241C. The NP241C was a passenger drop model used in Chevrolets. The NP241 is very much like the NP208 used in Wagoneers and J-trucks, as I understand it. Ah, you wrote NP242 TC. I'd consider the NP241C, since it should bolt up to the GM transmission and you can keep your axles.

Just a friendly observation - this kind of a project, with so many changes, will require a lot of research from you. Research means reading books like service and parts manuals, and searching for and reading threads and articles online about each topic. It's a bit unrealistic to post the entire project in a single thread and expect forum members to lay out a complete path for you. I'd suggest you get a notebook and work on each issue separately, and ask questions as you go along that are not answered by your previous reading and searching. You are more likely to get a useful response if you limit your posts to a single question, or maybe 2 or 3 related questions about a single topic. I read a lot and quickly, but I skimmed over your post because there are so many topics in your post. I also can form (possibly wordy) responses quickly in my head and type them, but it's taken me several minutes to respond, after I read over your post a couple of times. Members responding to your post don't have the investment in your project that you do, so you need to make responding easy by limiting the amount of reading and the scope of each question.

1st post - Welcome from Boston!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.