Upgrade swap steering box

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Atevres

Upgrade swap steering box

Post by Atevres »

I have read many have made changes by replacing the original FSJ box with box S10 98-04, with great satisfaction for road use.
It's an upgrade-swap that I would like to do along with the hydroboost for the brakes.
I read that combined with the S10 steering gear, another important point is the XJ 88/94 shaf drive.
I'm starting to collect the pieces first with what I can find here in Italy, before buying various parts from you in the States.
I found the drive shaft of an XJ 90.

I am writing to ask if changing and installing the steering gear of this XJ can give a significant change in behavior, or if this box has the same relation of the arts and behavior to that of the FSJ.
I could have it right away without taking a steering box for S10.
(my GW is a 89)

Thank you all :)

orionstarsin

Re: Upgrade swap steering box

Post by orionstarsin »

I can tell you the xj box worked great on my J10. I only had manual steering before though so i can't attest how big a difference it will make for you.

After the swap the steering is about 3.5 turns from one end to the other if that can help you determine the responsiveness. It handles bumps fine and does 75 mph(113km/hr) fine. I still need to do the shaft swap to eliminate play in wheel though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk