Headlight Aiming

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Brly

Headlight Aiming

Post by Brly »

I did the LED headlight conversion that was discussed here a while back. Got Hella housings and hi/lo beam LEDs. Really easy to put together. The problem I'm having is my low beams are kicked to the left instead of the right. I have them adjusted way to the right and down for now so I dont blind anyone. High beams aren't much better because they're pointed in the same direction. Do I have the wrong Hella housings/lenses somehow? They're PN 002395031.
The light output is great, just have to aim them at the ground, unless I'm missing something.
20190116_200011.jpeg
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 Jeep J3600 Gladiator - AMC 327/T18/D20

SJTD

Re: Headlight Aiming

Post by SJTD »

Lens has "H4" on it. Doesn't that mean they are for halogen bulbs? Are the LED bulbs supposed to be a direct replacement for H4 bulbs?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

I won't claim to know what I'm talking about, but the LED bulbs have 3 tabs on them so they only go into the H4 housings one way. They're installed correctly and functioning like they're supposed to.
I did some more reading last night and found that I probably got ripped off on the housings, or I missed something when I bought them. They're made in India, not Germany, were likely repackaged with the wrong part number. There's a good chance they're made for right hand drive cars, which is what I was thinking. The confusing part is the wedge shaped pattern on the lens is to the right (when sitting in the truck). In my mind, that should mean light is thrown to the right. But, as I said before, I know practically nothing about headlights, hence the question.
I guess I'll try another set of housings and make sure they're for left hand drive vehicles this time.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Are they Upside Down? If they seem to point to the Left, flipping them would reverse that. They should be labeled Top but Im assuming that they are semetrical rectangles?? However, the prism may not be semetrical-IDK

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

They're right side up. I actually tried flipping them just to see. That really screwed things up. You can't flip the housings and keep the bulbs in the correct orientation because of the way the bulbs fit into the housing. They only go in one way, so flipping the housing flips the bulb too and your high beams end up hitting the floor about 10' out and your low beams are on the ceiling.
The only explanation I have is that they're for right hand drive vehicles. The light pattern is good, except the low beams go left when they should be right.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Me either. That's why I was asking.

Maybe put a link to the bulbs too. Would help guys who do know what they're talking about.

The lettering is right side up. I would assume that means they're oriented correctly, no?

Do those numbers on the housing lens have any significance? Maybe they'll tell whether they're for left hand drive.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

babywag

Post by babywag »

There is no fix for bad aftermarket lights, return 'em.
High probability they're knockoffs or just a very bad design which is extremely common.
Most are poor copies of an original housing with no engineering or quality control.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

I'll see if I can find the bulbs and post the link. They're the LED's from the original thread.
Couldn't find anything from the numbers on the lens.
I ordered some new Hella's that should be legitimate. I'll update when I test them out.

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

Got the new housings. Definite difference. Old on the left, new on the right. I put them in, but it's the middle of the day and we're supposed to get a foot of snow tonight, so it might be a while until I test them.
20190119_143954.jpeg
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

Hella E4 means european headlight. I have the same light housings but with h4 bulbs.
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Not sure if that's what you had the first time, but British (UK) E-code headlamps kick up to the left side, since they drive on the opposite side of the road. They are usually -- but not always -- marked with the code E11. Ditto for Aussie, NZ, and Japanese headlamps.

The Brits are actually required to put blocking stickers on their headlamp housings when they drive on the Continent, because they kick up to the left -- which is right into the vision of the oncoming cars. Most new cars sold in Europe have headlamps that you can automatically adjust from inside the car -- depending on which side of the road you're driving on.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

Topic author
Brly

Post by Brly »

New lights are much better. Low beams cut off on the left like they should. Got them adjusted and took a ride the other night. All's well.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad you got it figured out. LED's are such a huge improvement over halogens, and they draw way less current.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ