Wide Track Wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Knucklehead

Wide Track Wagoneer

Post by Knucklehead »

Thought I would post up what my son did to convert his Wagoneer from NT to WT. He used a set of J20 Axles so that part was pretty much a bolt in swap. The flares were from a J20 bed that was being scrapped. Here is a link to the photos of what he did to add the WT Flares.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ap8yhKrH_mplg4hHSdytadqcl7oGpA

will e

Re: Wide Track Wagoneer

Post by will e »

That turned out sweet! I always like the WT waggy conversions.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

He has put a TON of work into it. It will get a few more minor changes this before Ouray.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I want one of these so bad! But I don't want to do the work to convert it...... I'll make someone a deal. I will do the front wide track conversion if someone will do the back part for me. :)
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Knucklehead wrote:He has put a TON of work into it. It will get a few more minor changes this before Ouray.
The rig looks perfect. Wow. Was he gas welding those in, I mean with an oxy-acetylene torch? Really nice job!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Really nice job.

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Wow, can’t find my 2 thumbs up emoji
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Can’t get onedrive to open, probably a mac issue on my end..
good to “see” more of these. I also did the J20 axles but paid to have the rear flares grafted and body/paint.

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=15284
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

My son did his the exact same way the shop did yours. Also, I was able to open the onedrive link on 2 different Macs.

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Wow, I bookmarked that page, that's exactly what I am looking for!
Mine is bone stock, and the stance of a wide track (like on the cover page of this forum) is exactly what I want my rig to look like once I start building.
Great job on what your son did @Knucklehead!
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

wimsurf wrote:Wow, I bookmarked that page, that's exactly what I am looking for!
Mine is bone stock, and the stance of a wide track (like on the cover page of this forum) is exactly what I want my rig to look like once I start building.
Great job on what your son did @Knucklehead!
Thanks! It's more time consuming than difficult. If he did it again, it would take him half the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Colonel Ham

Post by Colonel Ham »

Late to this party. Any advice would be welcome. I just bought a 1973 Wagoneer quadratrac with a dana 30 front and offset dana 44 rear. Rancho 4" SOA lift, 33" tires with drums all the way around. My original plan was to simply swap out the dana 30 with a dana 44, add disc brakes and a steering kit and call it good. Pfft... After months of searching, I am giving up on that plan as I cannot find any passenger side drop D44 anywhere in Northern California. All those CJ "M' effers" have gobbled them all up I guess. My frustration level is through the roof. As it sits now, the brakes are shot, it doesn't want to stop. I don't want to add disc conversion to the D30 because it has closed knuckles and virtually zero aftermarket steering options. The current steering set-up is a mess, it doesn't drive straight, tremendous "play" in the wheel, dangerous to say the least. So it simply sits in my driveway waiting for me to do something, anything. I just found a set of dana 44 widetrac axles from a 76 Cherokee with front discs. My new plan is to swap out both sets of axles, relocating the rear the perches so it fits properly. I understand there is approximately 2" on each side that I will need to account for but it seems there is still room? I am hoping this can be done WITHOUT cutting the rear wheel well AND without adding the fender flares? So, my question - is this possible? Looking for only affirmative responses... LoL. I tried clicking the link to @Knucklehead's sons project but the photos do not load for some reason? Please someone, anyone, my Wagoneer project is slowly circling the drain...
1973 Wagoneer QuadraTrac
33' Tires and 4" Lift
:fsj:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

It is probably doable with some new ford bronco or ranger take off wheels. They have significant amount of back spacing. I’m guessing without measuring but bet it’s close to doable.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I don't know that I would bank on them working--it's a pretty significant amount of width you have to make up, about 5", so 2.5" on either side. With the Bronco/Ranger wheels you will also have to bore out the middles as they're not designed for the big hubs ours have. Stock these have quite a bit of backspacing to begin with is why I say it might not be doable.

I'm sure there's a way but I dunno that it'll be an easy/worth it way.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Colonel Ham

Post by Colonel Ham »

Knucklehead wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:13 am Thought I would post up what my son did to convert his Wagoneer from NT to WT. He used a set of J20 Axles so that part was pretty much a bolt in swap. The flares were from a J20 bed that was being scrapped. Here is a link to the photos of what he did to add the WT Flares.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ap8yhKrH_mplg4hHSdytadqcl7oGpA
I can't access the photos? Is that issue on my end or is it a dead link?
1973 Wagoneer QuadraTrac
33' Tires and 4" Lift

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Should be fixed now.

will e

Post by will e »

Colonel Ham wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:34 pm Late to this party. Any advice would be welcome. I just bought a 1973 Wagoneer quadratrac with a dana 30 front and offset dana 44 rear. Rancho 4" SOA lift, 33" tires with drums all the way around. My original plan was to simply swap out the dana 30 with a dana 44, add disc brakes and a steering kit and call it good. Pfft... After months of searching, I am giving up on that plan as I cannot find any passenger side drop D44 anywhere in Northern California. All those CJ "M' effers" have gobbled them all up I guess. My frustration level is through the roof. As it sits now, the brakes are shot, it doesn't want to stop. I don't want to add disc conversion to the D30 because it has closed knuckles and virtually zero aftermarket steering options. The current steering set-up is a mess, it doesn't drive straight, tremendous "play" in the wheel, dangerous to say the least. So it simply sits in my driveway waiting for me to do something, anything. I just found a set of dana 44 widetrac axles from a 76 Cherokee with front discs. My new plan is to swap out both sets of axles, relocating the rear the perches so it fits properly. I understand there is approximately 2" on each side that I will need to account for but it seems there is still room? I am hoping this can be done WITHOUT cutting the rear wheel well AND without adding the fender flares? So, my question - is this possible? Looking for only affirmative responses... LoL. I tried clicking the link to @Knucklehead's sons project but the photos do not load for some reason? Please someone, anyone, my Wagoneer project is slowly circling the drain...
You'll have better luck if you post up your own thread. New threads get the most number of reads.
Welcome to the board!
You'll need some pretty offset wheels. The problem with a lot of offset is stuff might interfere, like brakes a steering components. You'll want to check and double check before buying a set of wheels.

Why not swap out all of it for a DD setup out of a later waggy. It might require some exhaust work but it might be an easier swap.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Colonel Ham

Post by Colonel Ham »

Decided to skip the wide-trac plan. Now I'm gonna have someone rebuild a Chevy dana 44 housing from the inside out.Less headache more money...
1973 Wagoneer QuadraTrac
33' Tires and 4" Lift

Colonel Ham

Post by Colonel Ham »

Knucklehead wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:53 am Should be fixed now.
Thanks. nice job on that. Gonna go a different direction now...
1973 Wagoneer QuadraTrac
33' Tires and 4" Lift