Adding a hitch to a 73 truck/ front tow points

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mjdriver

Adding a hitch to a 73 truck/ front tow points

Post by mjdriver »

Im looking to add a hitch to my 73 j2000, was wondering what my options are, since they don't make one for my truck, was thinking going with some universal one.

I also need to add front recovery points, im thinking a hook on each frame rail, not sure about drilling through the frame though.

Just looking for tips, thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Phils67

Re: Adding a hitch to a 73 truck/ front tow points

Post by Phils67 »

The rear frame rails are pretty wide. On my 67 my options were a universal hitch for a RV or build my own. I made templates for the side brackets out of cardboard and transferred it to 3/8 steel. Welded in a cross tube and reciever tube and secured it with eight gr8 bolts. Build your own and go overkill. It will be worth it.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Phils67 wrote:The rear frame rails are pretty wide. On my 67 my options were a universal hitch for a RV or build my own. I made templates for the side brackets out of cardboard and transferred it to 3/8 steel. Welded in a cross tube and reciever tube and secured it with eight gr8 bolts. Build your own and go overkill. It will be worth it.
So I already bought a Reese universal hitch, it should work but I'll need to drill at least 2 holes in the frame rails. The problem is my tailpipes are too close together, guess I'll have to get them moved out the way first.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

My only regret about building mine was doing it before I had the rear bumper. I built it to be tucked under some but its too far under now to use anything but extra long ball mounts. Mount it as far to the rear of your frame as possible so you don't need a mount that is 16" from center of ball to center of hitch pin like I do lol
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.