350 SBC in a ‘74 J10 - Oil

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

350 SBC in a ‘74 J10 - Oil

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

Hey y’all - newer member but love for the FSJ runs deep. In short I am restoring my J10. The J10 has a ‘77 Camaro SBC with the 400 trans. Purchased truck with engine in December.

The engine has been rebuilt, bored and has newer cam and rollers, but still came with original pan. I just replaced the original oil pan and moving to trans pan (old and leaking).

My question is, with not knowing the original miles from the Camaro, what kind of oil should I use. Synthetic seems obvious but I have done some reading and some believe to stay with owners manual suggested type but a lot has been developed over years with oil. Should I go with “High Mileage”? Looking for oil brand and weight recommendations.

I live in Northeast GA. Already at 90 degree weather. 20 miles a week will be the norm. Not going to push hard when driving.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

brielly
Vendor

Re: 350 SBC in a ‘74 J10 - Oil

Post by brielly »

All of the newest oils are excellent, whether they are conventional. synthetic or mixed. Get whatever grade your manual calls for at the cheapest price possible and you're good to go. Make sure you get a quality filter as well.
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net