Skyjacker Lift Install Issues

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mas3773

Skyjacker Lift Install Issues

Post by mas3773 »

I've searched, but somehow didn't find this issue or workarounds for it. Maybe my searching has been compromised by my frustration.

I've been working on removing the stock and installing the skyjacker kit for 2 weekends now. Was really hoping to have it off the jack stands today. But when I go to install the rear springs, I mount the fixed end and have the shackle attached to the spring. On both sides the spring is something like 2-3 inches short from eye to eye, to allow the shackle to get to where it needs to be.

I'm at a loss on this. Basically, everything that could have gone wrong with this kit has, and I will absolutely never buy anything from Skyjacker again.

The rear bushings that come installed also have the sleeve about 1/8+ inch too long. I had to go at all four ends with a file to get them to even fit into the shackles I had to spread out, or into the mounts for the front of the spring.

Does anyone have any ideas? At this point about the only thing I can think of is to get a hold of some thick box steal, some square u-bolts, and rig up a device to flatten the spring to get the extra length that's needed. I've done 4 or 5 lifts before, never on a FSJ, but on several wranglers and a 78 bronco, and I've never had this kind of issue. The front went about as I expected and fit as expected.

:banghead:
'89 Waggy (work is just getting started)

Topic author
mas3773

Re: Skyjacker Lift Install Issues

Post by mas3773 »

Found this tidbit here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16933#p174756
1979bettywhite wrote:Upon putting in my rear Rusty's leafs, I had to use a piece of 4x4 (wood) on the spring, and then a couple ratchet straps around it and the spring to flatten the spring out enough to line up with the fixed mount location and the rear shackle.
That's more or less what I was thinking with flattening it out. Early attempts of that with some wood blocks to stabilize the ends and some large steel pipe with ratchet straps were too successful, it flattened slighty, but not nearly enough to even come close. Still off by quite a bit.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

You need a decently long 4x4 post and a couple ratchet straps. The heavy duty ones are nice to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I used a 2x4 and a bottle jack. Wedged the spring and board then jacked it till the eyes lined up for the bolt.I was stumped on it too, it was my first one ever. But that did the trick. Search utube or google images for pics. I had to use a ratchet strap to straighten out the rear too.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

derf

Post by derf »

I don't remember having any real trouble with my Skyjacker lift. I may have installed the shackle end first and then the front. It was close enough that at most, jacking the bottom of the spring was enough to get it to line up.

Topic author
mas3773

Post by mas3773 »

OK, so if I'm getting this right, instead of having the bracing going the length of the spring, you're actually placing it beyond the length of the spring, between the eye and the tub? Then using a jack to compress the spring against it? Then either holding it in place with the ratchet strap, or getting it to just ling up as the board is holding it in a close enough spot to line up?

I'm getting a couple more search results of people mentioning wedging 2x4's in there and everything from bolting the axle up and lowering the weight of the vehicle on it to using ratchet straps. Haven't found any pictures, videos, or detailed description on it. Back at work, so I'll be continuing the search until I find a solid strategy. If it takes all week, so be it.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

i put my 4x4 post on top of the spring, but in between and lower than both eyes. Ratchet strap near both ends (can also throw a third in the middle if you want. When you ratchet the straps the spring will flatten out some, making it long enough to mount in both the shackle and fixed mount location. This was how I needed to install my Rusty's springs in the rear. Fronts were fine.

Once you get them bolted in just be careful releasing the ratchet straps. There will probably be some decent tension on there. Once centered strap comes in handy with this.

You may want to keep the straps around and you may have to nudge the axle ever so slightly fore and aft on either side to make sure the centering pins on the leafs match up with the hole in the springs.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

mas3773 wrote:OK, so if I'm getting this right, instead of having the bracing going the length of the spring, you're actually placing it beyond the length of the spring, between the eye and the tub? Then using a jack to compress the spring against it? Then either holding it in place with the ratchet strap, or getting it to just ling up as the board is holding it in a close enough spot to line up?

I'm getting a couple more search results of people mentioning wedging 2x4's in there and everything from bolting the axle up and lowering the weight of the vehicle on it to using ratchet straps. Haven't found any pictures, videos, or detailed description on it. Back at work, so I'll be continuing the search until I find a solid strategy. If it takes all week, so be it.
Yeah cross brace the spring and jack it from underneath with the bottle jack till it’s flat enough to put the bolt in. It’s been about two years, but that’s the gists of it. I searched and found a picture of it somewhere. Probably google images or something if you need that it’s there.

I didn’t have to use a ratchet strap for that part. I used that to align the whole rear end that somehow got crooked.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
mas3773

Post by mas3773 »

Well, that was sketchy as hell, but I managed to get it in - and didn't lose any fingers, knock it off the jack stands, or otherwise maim myself.

Figured I didn't want to push my luck, so I stopped there for the night. Now that both rear springs are in place, I'll move the axle in place tomorrow and wrap it up. It looks like I may have to do something with the parking brake lines as they don't seem to be long enough to let it move into place, but oh well, that's for tomorrow.

For the record, what I ended up doing was sticking a 2x4 up there, above the spring, against the tub. There is a ridge on the tub that is a bit of support, I used that to butt the board up against. Then used my floor jack on the center of the spring to compress it. Since that wasn't sketchy enough, my jack wasn't quite tall enough, so I sandwiched another 2x4 block between the jack and the spring to get a bit more height. Wiggled the shackle a bit with a phillips screwdriver to get things lined up. Shoved the bolt in and put the nuts on loosely.

Thanks all for the coaching.

will e

Post by will e »

I am glad you got it to work. Always an adventure!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well, that's one way to do it I guess. Glad you got it in, and all your extremities are still with us! Yes, with the 4" lift on the parking brake lines get stretched pretty good. Enough so that you have to stretch them even more to get the pins on the axle to line up with the spring packs (hence the use of the ratchet straps again). On the ground and in everyday driving the parking brake lines are fine. But on the trail with good flex, it might be an issue.

You option is two-fold. Once is to cut off the parking brake mounting brackets on the frame. One accessible on the passenger side, and one is behind the gas tank on the drivers side. You will have to drop the tank for this one. This will free up the lines a bit to give you a little more slack.

I have also read that you can swap in long wheel base J truck cables in place of your current ones. Although I have not done this, I think this is the route I might look at in the near future.

Others may chime in as this is a common issue with the 4" lift.

Topic author
mas3773

Post by mas3773 »

I dropped the tank earlier, so I won't have any problem getting to the parking brake cables. I'm not doing a frame off, but damn near everything else.

Wiring and rubber brake lines were shot, so it'll be parked anyway for quite a while. I'll see what I can find for those J-truck cables, but for now I'll just disconnect what I need to. Hell, I'm not completely decided if I want to go rear disc while I'm digging into it. So, that would free up some options as well. It's sitting on a flat driveway with wheel chocks anyway and there's no intention of it moving under it's own power this year.

derf

Post by derf »

1979bettywhite wrote:Well, that's one way to do it I guess. Glad you got it in, and all your extremities are still with us! Yes, with the 4" lift on the parking brake lines get stretched pretty good. Enough so that you have to stretch them even more to get the pins on the axle to line up with the spring packs (hence the use of the ratchet straps again). On the ground and in everyday driving the parking brake lines are fine. But on the trail with good flex, it might be an issue.

You option is two-fold. Once is to cut off the parking brake mounting brackets on the frame. One accessible on the passenger side, and one is behind the gas tank on the drivers side. You will have to drop the tank for this one. This will free up the lines a bit to give you a little more slack.

I have also read that you can swap in long wheel base J truck cables in place of your current ones. Although I have not done this, I think this is the route I might look at in the near future.

Others may chime in as this is a common issue with the 4" lift.
If I was going to do J10 cables, I'd go with the short wheelbase. The SWB J10 is still longer than the Wagons by a bit. The LWB J10 is 131" wheelbase which is way longer than you need for the cables.

Still, J10 cables would solve the problem of stock cables being too short.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I had plenty of give in my ebrake system. I only had to make some cable adjustments.