Suspension Questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Suspension Questions

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I have a few suspension questions while I wait and build up funds:

1) Has anyone had a chance to compare the new BJ's lift kit made by Deaver against the Skyjacker? Both are 4-5 inches and BJ's had 9 leaves front, 6+2 in the rear. Not sure on the leaf count for the Skyjacker, looks like less, but they are usually regarded as the smoothest kit for FSJ's.

2) I'm going to take some measurements soon, but if I don't do either of the above kits, I'll go with the BJ's 2.5" kit (also made by Deaver) with some longer shackles for around 3" of lift. I know 31's should fit pretty snugly, but where will 33x10.5's hit? I'm fine trimming the front and rear edge of the rear fender, will they hit on the inner or outer fender face?

3) What are normal travel numbers for NT Wagoneer's? With around a 4" lift I see people running 8"-10" shocks, is all of that used? Is it 50/50, or more like 3" uptravel and 7" downtravel? From a geometry standpoint I would think longer shackles would be needed to account for the longer, more arched springs in a 4" lift, but rarely see people change springs and shackles.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around all the dynamics that go into new suspension. Thank you in advance
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

mas3773

Re: Suspension Questions

Post by mas3773 »

Shackles are going to be a bit weird with the shackles in the rear being attached to the frame below the spring. A long shackle would lower the back, while raising the front. So, you'd probably have to add a block or leaf to get the rear sitting level.

I just got my skyjacker kit installed, to where it is sitting on the ground again, and while it's quite a bit higher and can probably squeeze the 33x10.5s in, I don't think it would be an option if it was sitting any lower. Mainly the rear (outside) would take a lot of trimming, I would think. From a picture I have here of when mine arrived, it looks like the rear springs have 5 leafs, maybe 4 on the front (zooming in on black leafs next to each other on a bad picture isn't the most accurate).

I might be in a minority, but I'm not really of fan of 33s in general. Quite a bit heavier and more expensive than the 31s. Puts more stress on the axles and makes a ring and pinion swap pretty much a necessity. Then you have the whole stopping thing to work out. I just don't think it's worth the headache. But that's just my opinion, if you really want them, I'm sure you could make them work, but it's going to be a lot of extra effort.
'89 Waggy (work is just getting started)

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Agreed. 33x10.5s would be hard without a bunch of trimming any lower that 4" lift. I have 4" springs + 1" block and its pretty tight under flex.

I have had bad luck with extended shackles adding weird handling issues in the front. If you want to try it, I've got a set for sale. :) If you have an intact front track bar still, it would probably be OK though.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I should have been a little clearer with the shackle statement. I have a set of Kartek drop brackets for the rear, so the longer shackle is to return to about the OEM geometry. In the front (and the rear), I was just going to do some 1" longer shackles, for around a 1/2" lift as I read the 1" lift shackles (2" longer) can made the steering pretty light.
My reasoning for the longer shackles was to allow for the longer springs to flex fully. I figured since the stock springs are pretty flat, the OEM shackle can be short, as they don't need to move too much. With a lift spring, the springs are more arched, and therefore longer, so the OEM shackle may limit compression travel by being too short. Am I thinking correctly?
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762