Bilstein shock valving choice

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JeepManiac

Bilstein shock valving choice

Post by JeepManiac »

Hell ya'll. I have a 1987 Jeep J20. Got my suspension mostly figured out. Daily driver with some offroading (and my favorite wheeling is hauling ass, don't have the funds for that this go around, but I imaging myself cruising upwards of 30 mph in this thing). Just tossed on 295/75R16's

2.5" front rancho springs, stock rear with 2" AAL. Also, has anyone run the Rusty's AAL? Fronts Ranchos are 300 lbs/in, won't know what rears are

Bilstein has 170/60, 255/70 or 360/80. What would you guys pick? Would you run different valving front and rear? Looking at having a roughly 9" travel shock

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Bilstein shock valving choice

Post by Stuka »

I think that depends on if you are going to be hauling and towing. If not, a softer shock would give a better ride, but may not have enough dampening with a load in back.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

I agree. Just wanted some input or personal experience. The valving is very general, and to me is basically soft, medium, hard

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Bilstein tells you what shocks to use. Regard their page: https://cart.bilsteinus.com/results?yea ... 1512085316

If you go witht he longer shocks (for a lifted vehicle) you should add blocks on the frame to prevent the longer shocks from bottoming. The axle travel should be stopped by the frame bumper, not the shock absorber.

When I bought shocks for my Cherokee, I found Summit Racing has the best price.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

JeepManiac wrote:Also, has anyone run the Rusty's AAL?
I have run Rusty's AAL on a 77 Wagoneer since 2001. A few years later that was changed for a 5" lift and they are still on the rear.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Thanks folks. I'm familiar with setting up the correct bump stops. In fact, I'll probably be making my own with sumo springs, because there is not one for this application. Does anyone know of bump stops from other vehicles that fit front/rear of the FSJ? I could then lookup another application for sumo springs instead of fabbin' my own

There's also this chart https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valving-guide

I just wanted actual experience. And thanks for the feedback on the AAL! That helps a lot

Jeepin' Pete

Post by Jeepin' Pete »

I always heard a general rule for Bilstein’s valving was that the 170/60 was for dual shocks and really light weight vehicles, the 255/70 was a pretty good medium for many mid-weight vehicles, and the 360/80 was for towing and heavy vehicles going fast. There are Bilstein valving charts out there if you look hard enough, most of the links are from a long time ago and are dead now.
I don’t have experience, but am probably going with the 255/70 when the time comes.

As for bumpstops, Timbren has a kit, ABSJRC01 that fits the later Grand Wagoneers, not sure if the trucks are the same. If in doubt just email them, they responded really quick. They told me the kits for the Xterra fit the Wagoneers as well. They have two series, the active off-road bumpstops (ABS), and the suspension enhancement series (SES). The SES are more for helping with bottoming out when towing, and the ABS are a softer, more typical bumpstop. They are not cheap though!

The other option I found (and what I will probably go with) is the Wheeler’s Superbumps. They are highly regarded by the Toyota guys and are a little cheaper, around $125 a pair. They have a universal kit that has 4” hole spacing on the mounting plate, which looks like it might fit with the holes on the frame of my Wagoneer. I just eyeballed that measurement, and again, not sure about the trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Grand Wagoneer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16762

Topic author
JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

Jeepin' Pete wrote:I always heard a general rule for Bilstein’s valving was that the 170/60 was for dual shocks and really light weight vehicles, the 255/70 was a pretty good medium for many mid-weight vehicles, and the 360/80 was for towing and heavy vehicles going fast. There are Bilstein valving charts out there if you look hard enough, most of the links are from a long time ago and are dead now.
I don’t have experience, but am probably going with the 255/70 when the time comes.

As for bumpstops, Timbren has a kit, ABSJRC01 that fits the later Grand Wagoneers, not sure if the trucks are the same. If in doubt just email them, they responded really quick. They told me the kits for the Xterra fit the Wagoneers as well. They have two series, the active off-road bumpstops (ABS), and the suspension enhancement series (SES). The SES are more for helping with bottoming out when towing, and the ABS are a softer, more typical bumpstop. They are not cheap though!

The other option I found (and what I will probably go with) is the Wheeler’s Superbumps. They are highly regarded by the Toyota guys and are a little cheaper, around $125 a pair. They have a universal kit that has 4” hole spacing on the mounting plate, which looks like it might fit with the holes on the frame of my Wagoneer. I just eyeballed that measurement, and again, not sure about the trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea the link I put up was to a table that lists what you explained.

Anyone know where to find the OEM dual shock mount for FSJ's? Do others exist? I know the pros and cons, and history of running dual shocks, and it's no longer necessary. But I love the vintage look which matches my vintage truck.

Are your GW bump stops the same front and rear? My J20 has roughly 2" tall bumps front and rear, and the mounting holes are roughly 4" apart.

I emailed the sumo spring company to see if they can find something that will work for me