1978 Cherokee Chief Restore/Build.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Re: 1978 Cherokee Chief Restore/Build.

Post by Jeeptchr »

I'm pretty excited today I got 2 shipments in that I've been waiting on! First I got in my NOS trail blazer 25 gal aux tank (bought from a IFSJA member) with some modifications I'll put the OE Injection pump assembly from the suburban into it (plans as of right now).

and I ordered last week the first part of my sound dampening material I debated and researched off and on for about 2 months and determined I wanted a spray on coating, which I would then cover with a Mass loaded vinyl of some sort. I am planning on undercoating the tub with a spray on bedliner also. Once I started comparing costs, Lizardskin (which is the highest), Spectrum (midrange), Al's HNR (lowest). I started seeing some major differences in materials. namely Acrylic vs latex for the bonding agents. If I'm painting in a house I'm great with latex but for potentially the underside of the jeep I decided that I really liked the Lizardskin. I have the option if I use this on the underside of not having to bedline over it. I probably will anyways though. I only ordered the sound deadener right now, next month I'll order the Ceramic to spray over the sound deadener for the roof floorpan and firewall areas. I'll warn you though, it's not cheap, but I was looking at doing a dynamat style dampener on the floorboards anyways, but I was worried about rust forming under the dampener matt possibly over time. I ordered the Lizard skin SC from http://donhart.com/ Really good people, and the guy I talked to had shot his XJ with both materials and spent about an hr on the phone with me addresssing concerns, for me that was well worth it!. The pricing is actually the best that I've been able to find online. (even beat Jegs). I ordered 6 gal, and I hope that is enough!

Right now no progress pic's as I'm just spot welding all of the carpet spike holes over the rear wheelwells other misc areas before I put down the Chassis saver paint on all of the seams and new welded panels/welds. When I was welding in the panels from above I stitch welded them very nicely with no warpage at all, the other day I was underneath the jeep and had the welder in my hand filling some pinholes I found. I saw my seam flanges and started tacking them closed. before I knew it I was laying welds all around the patch, as it stared to cool the panel warped a bit :( I forgot to jump stitch :( thank goodness I still have the body attached to the frame!. That could have been a big oops. I had planned on just seam sealing the seams anyways, but... I thought welding would be better :D

Any reccomendations on seam sealer to use? I've been looking at the 3M stuff.

81Cherokee Laredo

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

Looking good so far, I'm running the Trail Blazer as my only tank on the 81 let me know if you need any installed pics.

81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

81Cherokee, when running it as your only tank which fittings did you plug off and which did you hook up to the filler nozzle?
some install pic's would be great!

Over the weekend I got all of my spot welding, firewall filling, and stress crack welding done. (I've used over 2 lb's of .023 wire on this jeep!)
the past 2 evenings I started using Magnet Paints Chassis Saver (por-15 equiv) to coat any of the areas where there was rust or new metal, I'll tell you right now this paint is MEAN! I've been wearing blue coveralls over my work clothes and full nitrile gloves to paint, I got a drop on my pants leg and it soaked through to my skin, 3 days later it's not coming off! I tried brushing it on using foam brushes but they kept deteriorating too fast for my taste so I switched to nylon bristle brushes. I know I could have sprayed it but I didn't want to mask everything off right now, and the brush worked great for getting in the nooks and crannies. Also time constraints played a factor.

Few words of caution for this paint.
the higher the humidity the faster it kicks!
only take out of the can what you can paint in 15 min or so
use xylene or equiv for creating a barrier in the can so the paint won't cure (as per directions).
there is no cleaning of brushes, throw them away when done.
thin coats are better, but I ended up with thick coats, but I didn't care as all of it will be covered by lizard skin SC or bedliner.
if going over old paint or fresh metal, etch with 60 grit or so. (or a sandblaster) it doesn't stick the best to extremely smooth surfaces.

I had 4 quarts, to use and then a spare gallon that I'm trying not to open. this stuff covers a lot of area per quart, what you see in the below images is only 1.75 quarts. and it is thick! in places.

Firewall
Roof Bow's

Interior roof

I also did the fresh air vent, and poured it down both sides to coat to the interior vents, I also painted inside the vent holes to get as much coverage as I could.

Front Pan. I did the firewall anywhere where there was surface rust or welds , but if there wasn't I didn't worry about it as it will be covered with SC anyways.

Same in the rear area, plus dinner was ready and I was out of paint in my paint tray. :)

Next, I need to go through and seam seal everything on the interior before I apply the SC. Once I get the SC applied to the interior I'm going to pop the body from the frame, get it ready for powercoat and do the same treatment as above to the underbody. However, this weekend is all about prepping the boat and camper for the summer!! It's time to get them out! So no work this weekend on the Jeep...

81Cherokee Laredo

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

I use the side fittings and plugged the front coffin tank fill. I'll PM you some pics of how its installed

81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Thanks!

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Well, I took a break, and spent some time prepping the RV and the boat for the season, and that all went well first trip out so I took some time yesterday to work on the jeep. A few posts back I threw up a pic of my GREY air bumper jacks yesterday I put them to use. :) This was a trial run to see what all i needed to have ready for when I yank the frame out. Namely I was curious if I would be able to feel comfortable working under the body without any other supports. The short answer is... NO! :shock: I had kinda already figured this part out but I was still curious. for Reference, with the tailgate in the center of gravity is somewhere around the front of the rear wheel opening. I'll be able to lift it up just fine, and it will be able to stay supported while I'm rolling the frame out, but as for the rest of my cleaning the underbody, a body dolly is definitely needed.

So if anyone has any plans or dimensions (or one just sitting around) let me know! I took some measurements, but it was a little hard to get all of the heights for the different mounts measured off of one plane with it still under the body. I'd really like to have that part done and figured out before I roll the frame out for good.

Better view of the jack placement

Besides it being a little light on the front of the jacks it worked slick, even by myself! The wife came out about the time I had it all the way up, she thought I definitely needed someone else around... I figure I'll take a furnirture dolly and block it up to support the rear axle when I take the wheels off so I can roll it out from under the body.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

I haven't documented much lately because well... I've been hitting the lake camping and boating the past month of weekends :) Image and my consulting side work has filled up a lot of evenings. However that all being besides the point I finally made it out to the garage this weekend a bit.

I picked up my seats on a trip to the farms last week, 05 Wrangler seats, too bad the rear seat is too narrow or else I'd use it but the fronts are exactly what I wanted. Image

And a week or so ago I yanked the frame and axles out from under the body, and put the body on the rotisserie, unfortunately i can't fully rotate it inside the garage. I have a local body guy that I've used in the past that I've bounce different ideas off of on occasion. I'd talked to him about sandblasting and priming the frame, so I swung by to talk to him about blasting the bottom of the body and epoxy priming it before I put the lizard skin on the underside. I've been cleaning the underside with lacquer thinner and various wire brushes and wheels, I'm a little worried about adhesion to the original primer, plus this way I can have all the rust spots elseware blasted and primed, and I'll be able to see exactly what needs to be repaired (I know rear flares and possibly right rear lower quarter.

I will say using a rotisserie is pretty awesome!

I've been test fitting the trailblazer tank, I didn't realize how much they sloped to the front for filling the oe tank. I'll be fixing the mounts so that it sets level and there is clearance on the top for any fittings and the GM fuel pump assembly connections. I'm also angling the drivers front corner similar to the passenger side. I might have made one mistake when I dropped it off at the welders... I didn't ask him how much it would cost :shock: guess I'll find out later this week, I know I could have welded it up myself, but when a certified former underwater welder lives just down the road, I figured he could weld it up better than me to not have leaks..

In the original mounting configuration

How it should look when finished, I'll have a receiver hitch on the back to protect it. I know it doesn't look level but it actually is pretty close.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

I've been cleaning the underside of the tub with a spray bottle of laquer thinner and a wire wheel plus other misc items, it's been slow because it sucks.. and I starting comparing time/money vs mental state :P while under the tub doing this work. the rotisserie helped, but not enough. I'm a huge fan of sand blasting, unfortunately I don't have a big enough compressor here to take on a full blast job like this. However in the town I work in the body shop there has a dedicated blast building (he does a lot of tractors, has 40 scheduled for this summer) ans I swung in to see if he'd shoot the underside and epoxy prime it for me. He said sure, and I talked with my father in law (who I think is going to help me out on the exterior body work) on what all needed to be done or not done as the case may be on the blasting while it is in the blast booth. So yesterday I borrowed the blasters car hauler (it's a tilt with a winch mounted, mines not a tilt) and got the tub and rotisserie loaded for the 30 mile trek to the blast appointment. I'll swear I had pic's of it loaded on the trailer, but I can't find them, so here's me loading it :) Image Image

I did support the center of the body with some cribbing and a sawhorse, I also welded in door opening braces just in case.

those tilt trailers are pretty nice! I'll have to think about one of them for down the road when I upgrade.

Rained this morning, so they didn't start blasting on it today, hopefully tomorrow they can get started.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That should turn out real nice. Looking forward to seeing the results. When you do the whole body, are you keeping the yellow/black colors? And I'm curious - is the cowl area below the actual cowl grill rotted? If so, have you fixed it yet? Mine's got some rot in there. No PO ever added any fine screen to the cowl vent to prevent larger stuff from falling down in there and absorbing moisture.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Thanks! so am I! :D I'm not sure on the paint, I originally planned on keeping yellow but I've been looking at either doing basically the same black scheme with 2014 dodge "header orange" or the new jeep orange that is a bit more muted. However, that being said, I do love the White cherokees. so probably not yellow anymore, but definitely a paint scheme very similar to original. I do know I'm relatively certain that I don't want to use metalic paint on the outside, mainly for touchup repair work (I'm sure I'll wheel it a little bit...)

Actually the cowl itself was in pretty good shape, only the right side above the vent next to the transition from inside the cowl to the vertical behind the dash was rusted, I repaired that as best as I could and used chassis saver on it. I'll definitely be putting the fine screen in the vent when I go back together.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Packages!

Post by Jeeptchr »

I started ordering some more of the parts I need for the build. First off
GM fuel pump mounting ring, came from Vertical Limits in Paola KS, will work in basically any tank, you cut your hole for the sending unit to go though, and then drill the array of holes around the hole and then clamp everything together.

from Ruff stuff specialties I have new Dana 60 spring and shock mounts, in retrospect I probably just needed the perches and new u bolts, but... it's here now :roll:

From Lugnut 4x4 I picked up his D60 disk brake kit, with the e-brake calipers (eldorado) and stainless disc brake lines it worked out to 535 only need to buy new studs, the kit even includes the wheel seals. I debated long and hard about doing the eldo calipers for the e-brake but in the end it seemed to be the simplest way to get e-brakes.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Checked on the blasting

Post by Jeeptchr »

Left work for a bit to get a back adjustment and the guys doing the blasting are right across the street from the chiropractor, funny coincidence ;) anyways. rust was about what was expected, they hit all of the window frames and the windshield frame... they are going to blast bottoms and insides of the doors today plus some other spot blasting areas. All the blasted area's will be epoxy primed for pickup on wed, it was about as expected on the rust :( with a few surprise area's i didn't expect. he said they'll have about 4 hrs in on blasting it, I didn't think that was too bad for everything that has gotten done

Drivers back of flare

Drivers front of flare

Suprise area

Passengers Rear of flare

Passengers front of flare

Underside

Overall

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

It's been about a month since I got the body back from the blasters, but I haven't had a chance to update progress here till now. Between my regular job, consulting work and helping launch my wifes new business I haven't had much time to work on the jeep :(

I had told the bodyman to do it right, like it was coming to his shop for prep and paint. Well he did exactly that, which tickled me to death, but it hurt the pocketbook a bit more than expected. $1000 later I had the entire underbody done, all of the door jambs and inside of the doors, cowl area, all glass openings, any seam sealer they could find including the Drip Rails! :) and everywhere blasted was shot in a black epoxy primer. No complaints here! It looks great, but I found a bit more body filler in the drivers rear quarter than expected, and some rear quarter panel rust on both sides down low that blew on through. again, I'm tickled with the way it turned out.

just a couple of shots

Touch of rust on the bottom of the door...

I hauled the chassis (frame,springs,w-t axles) to my father in laws for one of his friends to blast it, and then We'll shoot the primer and Imron Gloss Black on the Chassis, I'm not to worried about the axles as I'm working on the J-20 axles at my place I'll probably cover them in a semi gloss/satin black.

Hopefully I'll get the Chassis back in a couple of weeks.

Picked up seam sealer the other day to start sealing the body before it gets too cool to shoot the lizard skin outside. I've been trying to get the 81J-20 stripped out so I can scrap the rest of it so that's been where my miniscule amount of spare time has been being devoted at the moment. hopefully soon I can get back to working a few hrs here and there on the Chief!

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Got some time this past week to seam seal the tub, and even shot some Lizard skin SC on the underside. I need to give it a 2nd lighter coat of SC before I shoot it with the Ceramic Liner, I'm really debating if I'll do the entire underside in CL or just the firewall/exhaust and front pan area's I don't see where the back will really need it. I didn't shoot the inside of the fender wells, I'll come back and do them later after the bodywork is done.

I will say though, the Rotisserie of the Fil's is awesome! I just wish I had a taller garage so I could roll the body a true 90 degrees as it is I can only go about 70 degrees or so, but it sure helps!

3m Seam sealer, I know it's not the cleanest application, but all the seams are covered! :)

And the first coat of Lizard Skin SC !!
I know it's probably on a little too thick in places, and I'm not sure that I like the texture (don't really care for the regulator I was using but couldn't find the good one) but it reminded me of shooting sheetrock texture. (and I'll probably paint over it anyways) I used almost 2 gal on the firewall and entire underside.

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

Nice. I have a 90 Gw Im just east of Council Bluffs Iowa..
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Thanks I've not had much time to work on it lately hopefully the frame will be back soon though.
You aren't that far away. nice to know there are some others around this area. on your website did I see a jeepster?

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Things are really looking good on the Chief!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

ktrosper

Post by ktrosper »

Awesome! You're doin it up right!
"The General"
'79 Jeep J-20 | 360 | TH400 | BW 1339 | D44 (3.73) | D60-3 (3.73) | Stock Suspension | 33" Tires
Build Thread:http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=11420

Topic author
Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Thanks! for the positive encouragement! It's needed!
It's been a slow road lately. Lots of other things going on this fall winter. I ended up picking up a horse to go riding with the wife, so that has cut into the jeep budget at bit since I had to buy all new tack for him. For the horse people, I bought a 16.3h Tennesee Walker gelding named Topper. Image btw I'm 5' 11"

Since I posted last I shot the Lizard Skin CL (heat reducer) on the firewall and the underside (another 2 gallons total) and found out what my issue with the way lizard skin laid down. I was using too little air pressure, once I bumped it up 20 more psi to 60ish it laid out like what I wanted it to. Unfortunately I still have some massive (in my mind) texturing to deal with I'm debating if I'm going to sand it down a bit, or just shoot Urethane over it just to make it a glossy black. I'm sure it'll look ok as is, but I went last night and picked up the frame from my FIL's last night and I'm afraid I might have to sand it down and reshoot just to look as good as the frame! It's taken a while, but it's finally home! I'll get some pic's of it tomorrow and post them, but I'll tell you right now it's shiny! He shot it in Imrom Gloss Black. I still have to build the J20 Axles to put under it, as it's on the WT roller axles still. Our rationale for shooting it in gloss was for easy cleanup of dust/mud etc.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That's one fine looking critter!
Looks like a 1.5HP version.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation