Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

csuengr

Re: Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Post by csuengr »

Like I said, Dodge uses this kind of setup on Dakotas*. Just need to build a shroud around the mechanical fan that also encloses the electric. The electric fan can be moved over to uncover the fan clutch.

*The Dakota electric fan comes on when the AC is on and/or if the temp gets too high. It also shuts off above a certain speed.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

csuengr wrote:Like I said, Dodge uses this kind of setup on Dakotas*. Just need to build a shroud around the mechanical fan that also encloses the electric. The electric fan can be moved over to uncover the fan clutch
My Sierra 2500HD with duramax has the same setup as well that's why I thought about running it.
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I think to do this right, you cannot use that plate around the electric fan. That basically means only the center of the radiator is doing any work.

Remove that plate, and have the shroud go from the outside edges of the radiator, and go down to the size of the mechanical fan. Because right now half the radiator is blocked off. Would almost be better to remove that plate entirely that way at HWY speeds air goes through on its own. The electric fan has its own shroud, so no need to cover the rest of the radiator. The fan wont pull air through the edges (too much resistance, fan will pull air from areas of least resistance) unless it was moved a few inches away from the radiator, and had a shroud funnel the air too it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I am running a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan in mine (no other fan), with no cooling problems. If your ECM isn't set up to control the fan, Painless Wiring makes a PWM controller that works very well (I'm also using one).

The Mark VIII and Taurus fans pull over 4,000 cfm on high. I am also running a Mark VIII fan, in a custom built shroud, in my BBC powered 442.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Great input guys. I think I am going to do like Stuka suggested and remove the plate and use straps to attach the electric fan. It will take me some time to make a shroud so Ill run without one for now.

I make some really good progress the last few days. The front frame and firewall has been cleaned and painted. Got the tranny cross member cut, welded and mounted in its final position. The engine itself is complete and the tranny is mated to the engine for good. I spent tonight installing the SYE kit and replacing all the seals. I must say even tho its pricey the JB Conversions SYE kit is super easy to install. I also swapped out the front CV yoke to match the driveshaft I have.

I am still noodling how to mount the Blazer gas tank but I think I have a plan so hopefully that will get done this weekend.

Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

I really want to see how you mount the tank. I bought tank straps, and still don't understand exactly how they are supposed to work. I think I have bottom pieces only, and I'm missing the top halves.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

There are no top halves for the S10 Blazer tank. They're part of the top (well, bottom!) of the truck. :- /

I used strap steel from the hardware store to hold my tank in. Not pretty, but it does work.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Sorry for the lack of updates but I have done quite a bit in the last few weeks. A lot of small things but it I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I think at this point I am just going to remove all the A/C stuff for now. I didnt really use it that much and I don't feel like tackling it during the build. I will save it for another project later on.

Completed:
-Engine, tranny and TC are permanently mounted
-All engine accessories are on (I.E. starter, fan, dipsticks, plugs, coils, wires, vacuum lines, etc)
-Throttle cable installed and working
-Driveshafts are in the shop to get modified
-Gas tank is mounted
-Core support in
-Transfer case shifter mounted
-Fuel tank filler modified

To do:
-Run fuel lines and tranny lines
-Install Dakota dash
-Find correct radiator and heater hoses
-Install fenders
-Exhaust
-WIRING (UUUUGGGGGHHHHHH)

Scott R.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

So, you have all the easy parts done. :D

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I see you found a new style t-case shifter. Good deal. Did you have to modify your throttle cable to get it to work?

NVM, upon closer picture inspection it appears you went with an aftermarket(Lokar) throttle cable.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

j20owner wrote:I see you found a new style t-case shifter. Good deal. Did you have to modify your throttle cable to get it to work?

NVM, upon closer picture inspection it appears you went with an aftermarket(Lokar) throttle cable.
Your right, its the Lokar cable, went in very easy tho.
Scott R.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Scott, are you cutting an access for the fuel tank? This is a future plan of mine, just wanted to see what you planned for that.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Gumby wrote:Scott, are you cutting an access for the fuel tank? This is a future plan of mine, just wanted to see what you planned for that.
No I actually had my buddy help build a frame with straps so the tank can be easily lowered. The tank frame is welded to the underside of the body.

For the fill tube, instead of trying to make a reducer to go from a 1" fill to a 2" fill on the tank we welded a 2" neck onto the stock hard line. That way the rubber hose is all 2".

Scott R.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Did you pressure check those welds? I have learned from (bad) experience to do this. Apparently I make good gas strainers.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

we will find out soon! lol
Scott R.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'm afraid of fatigue on those front brackets. Maybe bolt straight through the frame horizontally. Can't really see the rears.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

I like your tank idea, especially the filler neck. Now that..... I may have to copy.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

SJTD wrote:I'm afraid of fatigue on those front brackets. Maybe bolt straight through the frame horizontally. Can't really see the rears.
x2 on that. Need a bolt through the tubing. Those little tangs are gonna break.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Sorry for the lack of updates. Most of what I was doing was figuring out the wiring. I hit a major milestone today and fired her up. Still have A LOT of clean up items to do including getting the exhaust installed. I also need to get it to the point that I can test drive it....but its a start!
Scott R.

Stuka
Site Admin

Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Post by Stuka »

Awesome, having it start is always good motivation to finish it!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk