Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Gabe's FSJ Diary (formally Grand Wagoneer build thread)

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:I don't know if party was a good choice of words, more like get together. We went to Casa Bonita, had some terrible food, and played some arcade games.
So how much did ya get done after the "party"?? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not much. Ran out of brake clean and the transfer case is fighting going back together. The old seals do not want to come out! I started again at noon just got the last one out. :(
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Just giving ya a friendly hard time brotha!
So how many days left now? You gonna make it ok?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

ugh. It never ends. The O-ring for the case halves is too long by about half an inch. Guess I'm waiting for RTV to set up.

tedlovesjeeps71

Nikkormat wrote:ugh. It never ends. The O-ring for the case halves is too long by about half an inch. Guess I'm waiting for RTV to set up.
Can't you cut it and make it shorter? Leave the cut section at the top of that case and it shouldn't leak...?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Alright another 12 hour wrench-a-thon is drawing to a close. Tonight I stuck the transmission and transfer case together, assembled the transfer case, cleaned up the wiring and vacuum lines under the Jeep, stripped the crossmember and associated hardware, removed the GD pilot bearing that defeated me two years ago, and pulled the bushing out of the old crankshaft and installed it in the new one while causing only minor damage. A real great night if you ask me.

Tomorrow the transmission goes in, crossmember, motor mounts, cooler lines, fluids, drive shafts, and hopefully fix the rear brakes so I can drive it to work Sunday.

I also fixed my camera app. So we have pics! Image Image Image
I'm pretty proud of this slide hammer. Image

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Haven't driven it yet. But it has forward, reverse, and neutral. Fingers crossed!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Some idiot (me) forgot to buy ATF. So I just went and cleaned out the gas station at 2 AM. Hopefully I have enough now.

tedlovesjeeps71

Keep goin' Gabe... You got this!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ugh. The slip stick is worse than it was before. There is a whine somewhere, it sounds like in the transmission. And it's not balanced right. Something is shaking around.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ok the whine was the dust cover on the bell housing. Shaking seems to be vapor lock... :banghead:

az chip

Post by az chip »

Nikkormat wrote:Ok the whine was the dust cover on the bell housing. Shaking seems to be vapor lock... :banghead:
Vapor lock or fuel supply problem? My hoses had dry rot cracks through and through. They were sucking more air than fuel. Keep trucking. If you need anything parts wise give a shout on here.

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

As suggested above it was starvation. Need to remove the electric pump from the fuel injection. Gave it a good tap and fuel flowed freely again.

With that resolved I took a brief foray onto the main road. Very brief as I have only front brakes. But it shifted pretty much perfect! Holds gear till 4000 and then a nice firm shift. Will let me grab first at 35 mph so it must have some kind of shift kit in it. Perfect.

With the shaking resolved the engine idle smoother and quieter than ever. I'm REALLY happy about that. So we had no tourqe converter bushing, an old pilot bearing which actually wasn't allowing the converter to seat at all, and I discovered today that it had a 360 flex plate on it. The new counter weight is much bigger!

Overall I'm really happy this has worked out so far. As long as the slip stick will calm down a little I should be good to go.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Sounds great!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Simba

Post by Simba »

Hey Gabe, You have a lot more knowledge about this stuff than I do and maybe you have tried this already but with my Borg Warner case, slip stick was an issue with the Crown fluid but went away when I started using 30wt non detergent oil and about a tube and a half of Trans X. Just a thought?
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Simba wrote:Hey Gabe, You have a lot more knowledge about this stuff than I do and maybe you have tried this already but with my Borg Warner case, slip stick was an issue with the Crown fluid but went away when I started using 30wt non detergent oil and about a tube and a half of Trans X. Just a thought?
That's what I'm going to need to do. I figured it would be ok after I rebuilt it but before that's the only way to make it tolerable. Thanks

Simba

Post by Simba »

Best of luck! How soon do you have to leave for school?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Simba wrote:Best of luck! How soon do you have to leave for school?
6 days! :shock:

Simba

Post by Simba »

Nikkormat wrote:
Simba wrote:Best of luck! How soon do you have to leave for school?
6 days! :shock:
You get it! Sounds like you're making good progress!

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I just read the last 5 pages of this thread... it's inspiring! Keep up the good work, Gabe!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Lumpskie wrote:I just read the last 5 pages of this thread... it's inspiring! Keep up the good work, Gabe!
Thanks! Man, I thought you guys would think I'm nuts. Glad to hear some people like reading it.