My 1988 Grand Wagoneer build thread (LS Swap began 3/13/14!)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Re: My 1988 Grand Wagoneer build thread (LS Swap began 3/13/

Post by ShawnQ »

Thanks for the info. Does the stock GM mount have two holes on top and a single stud on the bottom?

My crossmember is also in the rear holes.

I'll have to look for a mount...
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

It looks like a Anchor 2638 will work with the 4wd 6L80E. I'll try to grab one today from O'Reilly and test it out.

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

Yes that is the mount.
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 4" Rusty's Lift, LS 5.3L swap (in progress), 4L60e, NP241c.
1991 Grand Wagoneer, all stock, a work in progress, for sale soon.
1982 Cherokee Laredo, 360ci, aluminum intake, Edelbrock carb, HEI, w/32x11.50x15, warn 8000, Dana 44/AMC 20
2001 Cherokee Sport, Old Man Emu lift (worn out), front/rear C4x4 bumpers, Smittybuilt 10,000 winch, 31x10.50x15, Edge Tuner kit w/throttle body & AFE cold air, Gibson exhaust-my daily driver until the '89 is finished.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Got the transmission mount, anchor # 2638

Got to work seeing how it fit. Of course the bolts sit right on the back edge of the crossmember. Not a big deal. I will notch it out and extend it a bit.

I also pulled the spare tire to see how to mount my blazer fuel tank. I was pleasantly surprised with how clean and dry everything is under the wagoneer. One day when I do a body-off...it should be easy.

Ive got a few more hours to play with today. Not sure if I want to mess with the engine wiring or modify the trans crossmember...we'll see. More to come later.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

I was tinkering around with the fuel tank and fuel pump. I've got the gm18D tank (2dr 97-01 blazer) and the E3954M fuel pump.

I tried to install the pump into the tank, and I'm having a heck of a time getting the pump to sit low enough to allow the lock ring to seat. Has anyone else had this issue?

The lock ring on these tanks is a 'split ring' or 'c-clip' style, not a threaded one or one that has to be spun to lock. It is a tension clip. I can't get the pump seated far enough down to get the clip under the lip. Maybe the O-Ring is just too cold and wont compress enough to allow it to seat.

Anyhow, thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this issue...

Post by 243 »

The o-ring is TIGHT, I used some dialectic grease to help seat the module.

What are you doing for the fuel gauge, the Blazer sending unit reads backwards from the available gauges from Autometer with the exception of their programmable gauge.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It helps to put the o-ring in almost-boiling water to soften it up, quick-dry then add grease as 243 suggested. That o-ring is a bear to compress even on a warm day.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Tatsadasayago wrote:It helps to put the o-ring in almost-boiling water to soften it up, quick-dry then add grease as 243 suggested. That o-ring is a bear to compress even on a warm day.
Thanks for the info! Glad I am not the only one with this issue. Thought I was crazy!
243 wrote:The o-ring is TIGHT, I used some dialectic grease to help seat the module.

What are you doing for the fuel gauge, the Blazer sending unit reads backwards from the available gauges from Autometer with the exception of their programmable gauge.
Gauges will probably be either Dakota digital or Speedhut can-bus gauges. Either way they should be programmable

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Got the transmission crossmember modified. I hate flux-core welding. I'm pretty good with a mig that is shielded...but this flux-core makes me look like a rookie!

Anyhow, welded it up, cleaned it up, painted it, and it's drying now. It's not beautiful but it will work.

Long story short, the transmission mount bolts sat on the very rear radius edge of the crossmember. I cut the radius off, & added enough metal to bolt the trans to. I ran a few stiffeners longitudinally underneath. I also left the factory lower lip to help with transverse flex. I was going to do it a few different ways but had to make it so the hardware was easily accessible. Like I said, it's not perfect but it will do the trick.

Looking back...I probably should've just modified the mount! Oh well...

Did I mention I hate flux core?

Underside

Hopefully I can install it later and move on.

I was also able to get the fuel pump lock ring installed. I just had to push a littke harder. Now I need to order or buy fuel line.

Is braided worth the expense? Or should I just run high pressure rubber rated for the efi?

Did I mention I hate flux core? :roll:

More to come.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Here's a few pics of it installed, with NP241C & Stock Chevrolet suburban 2500 front drive shaft for mock-up purposes. I may need ton notch the crossmember just a hair in the front driveshaft area to allow for axle droop. This will not be a rock crawler...more of an overland/beach fishing rig, so I dont need much flex. We'll see how it looks once I take it to an actual driveshaft guru.

And here is the only spot of rust I can find. It is right above the passenger rear axle forward spring hanger, common area? Not sure what caused it. Everything around it is dry and solid. It's smaller than a dime, easy fix once I get there...

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

That crossmember turned out great!

I haven't decided what fuel line I am going to use either. I read that you shouldnt use rubber fuel injection hose, except in short pieces where it needs to flex. I would like to find the stock GM hard lines to use and try to get them to work somehow. I am hoping that would cut down on the expense.
1989 Grand Wagoneer, 4" Rusty's Lift, LS 5.3L swap (in progress), 4L60e, NP241c.
1982 Cherokee Laredo, 360ci, aluminum intake, Edelbrock carb, HEI, w/32x11.50x15, warn 8000, Dana 44/AMC 20
2001 Cherokee Sport, Old Man Emu lift (worn out), front/rear C4x4 bumpers, Smittybuilt 10,000 winch, 31x10.50x15, Edge Tuner kit w/throttle body & AFE cold air, Gibson exhaust-my daily driver until the '89 is finished.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

I was thinking about the crossmember. I almost wonder if I should've just moved it further back on the frame (drilled new mounting holes & added frame bushings).

This would have possibly allowed me to just add a few holes on top of the crossmember for the transmission mount AND added clearance for the front driveshaft by bringing the crossmember further back.

Probably would have saved me a little time! I didn't/don't want to modify the frame any more than I have to though...I guess that can be my excuse!

I suppose I can still do it if I end up needing clearance for the driveshaft.

On another note: why do I need a gasket between the transmission and transfer case if both units are independently sealed? There was a paper gasket on both sides of the transfer case adapter/spacer when I removed it previously.

Also, the bottom transfer case to transmission bolt is impossible to install with the transmission mount in the way....not sure this is avoidable.

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

I am going to notch my crossmember also. The front shaft clears sitting level, but just to be sure, Im going to notch it.

I was thinking when I separated my tranny and tcase that there was some fluid between the two. Not a lot but at a steep angle it would come out.

I didn't want to get into trying to drill the frame to move the crossmember either. The bottom stud & nut on mine is a bit easier to get to, but I think its because I welded a short platform on my crossmember that the trans mount bolts to. Its still a pain but is doable.

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

How about fabbing a tube style crossmember and just ditch the old one, may be a lot easier than trying to modify the stock one. I think I'm gonna try it this way when I get there and then I can also use it to attach my lower link arms for a 4 link.

There are some examples/ideas on this page. The picture shows a transfer case mount but I'm sure the same could be used for a transmission mount http://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/OTHER_PRODUCTS.html
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Surf,

I may end up going that route. I just dont have access to fab tools like I used to.

BTW, saw your post on LS1 forums...havent updated their lately!

When are you starting your swap? Be sure to let me know so I can follow it

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Almost forgot, here's what I am playing with today:

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Main connector is cleaned up and layer out. I have it temporarily loomed just in case I have issues. Once it's running I will loom it all up with split loom (probably the original stuff I removed)

I still need to install and layout the 2nd connector from the ecm, that includes the transmission harness, the fuel pump, mass air sensor, APP sensor for the gas pedal, etc

More progress to come!

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

ShawnQ wrote:Surf,

I may end up going that route. I just don't have access to fab tools like I used to.

BTW, saw your post on LS1 forums...haven't updated their lately!

When are you starting your swap? Be sure to let me know so I can follow it
I'm definitely a ways out from my swap. I need to get the chief running well enough to drive daily. As soon as that happens I'll start collecting everything. The good thing is I have a lot of time to think all this out and I can watch all you guys iron out the details! I'm thinking the 6l80/241, like yours, would be best case scenario if I can swing the premium $. I want to do this one right so no cutting corners. I'm loving watching your thread. Keep up with the great work! :fsj:
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

I got lucky and picked the drivetrain up relatively inexpensive.

If I didn't get a deal on the 6L80E combo, the old gen 3 and 4L60/80 would've been much easier to figure out since they're so common.

There are a few guys here with the newer Gen IV running...and hopefully they'll help me finish! Lord knows I'll need to lean on them along the way.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to layout the transmission wires and figure out the fuseblock. Im going to make one like Brendan describes on LT1swap.com

I still have a few wires that I cant identify and not sure if I need them.

Hopefully I can get my fuel line and fittings ordered tomorrow as well as my corvette regulator. I am tempted to wait a few more days though as I'm sure there will be black friday and cyber Monday sales at the big stores like Summit.

XJChad

Post by XJChad »

Do you buy from amazon.com? I got my radiator, oil pump, all my gaskets, corvette filter/reg, locking hubs and a bunch of other parts from amazon. I also use ebay, but I am pretty selective about buying parts from there.
Amazon has saved me tons of money on my swap parts, just make sure you know your part # and the brand you want, instead of searching by description.
I just bought my Old Man Emu lift springs for my XJ through amazon. It saved me about $350.