Jonesy's Builds a Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Which Color should I paint the Wagoneer

P91 Gold Tan
20%
434 Kaiser Jeep Vintage Gold
80%
Late model color or code 393
No votes

Total votes: 5

Topic author
Jonesy's

Jonesy's Builds a Wagoneer

Post by Jonesy's »

Hello,

I have to start by saying thanks for all the great builds out there. All of you guys have done a great job documenting and sharing information. I’ve been kicking around this site for a long time to gain ideas for my customers and now I’m excited to be sharing my own Wagoneer build.

I'm starting with a 1970 Wagoneer that has been around the shop for the last 20 years. The previous owner has spent a lot of time and $$$ upgrading the drivetrain; He rebuilt Buick 350, TH400 Dana 20 along with adding a disc brake 44 frontend. Ultimately he got scared off by the condition of the body and paint and decided to sell it to me in exchange for work on other projects. All the mods and upgrades were done well at the time but the poor thing has been sitting and has hardly driven over the last 10 years. After getting it running and driving again I decided It was time to do something with it instead of watching it deteriorate any more. The tipping point was that my 6 year daughter was excited about rescuing the Old Wagoneer!!

Here is the overall plan: Build a family friendly vintage Jeep that is comfortable, good looking, reliable, and thoughtfully built with components that appeal to not only the strict stock restoration Jeep guys as well as the resto mod Jeep owners. I decided that the best way to toe that line was to let you guys via the shop YouTube channel and the forums decide the key direction of the restoration: Color, Engine, Transmission and Suspension.

Over the years of building vehicles for customers I have accumulated a lot of extra parts that we can choose from. LS 5.3L, Cummins Diesels, 4L80e, NV4500 or Keep it stock with the Buick 350 and TH400 maybe add fuel injection. I’ve also collected some specific Jeep parts that I’ll use to keep the stock only Jeep guys happy.

This is the condition of the Wagoneer when I started.
Wagoneer Front.jpg
Wagoneer after glass removal.jpg
Wagoneer Buick engine.jpg
Wagoneer Drivers doorjpg.jpg
Cleaning Helper.jpg
In the first youtube video in this series I ask for help choosing the final the color. Code P91 or 434 or custom. To be honest the original color might be a code 393 gold beige but according to my research that was not an option for my year. The body does not have any trim or paint code tags on it so we are stuck choosing a color based on available codes and a badly faded paint.

Check out the video and let me know what direction you guys think I should go.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/gPL8Y65qWtY/youtube]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fulsizjeep

Re: Jonesy's Builds a Wagoneer

Post by fulsizjeep »

Nice start and welcome to the forum! The Buick engine is kind of an oddball next to all the AMC V8s Jeep used. They can be built from mild to wild though and I like them. :-bd

Here is a place to check your Waggy VIN:
http://oljeep.com/gw/vin_66-71.html
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Heck , you have solid floors! I think it is in great shape for the year.
I think you are right on the Tijuana Tan, but you could have Golden lime poly as your original color. Both are pretty sharp.
Welcome to the forum and we look forward to seeing your progress!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome from Phoenix! I haven't voted for a color. I think these look good in any color.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

1970 is a sort of unique year since AMC took over but still used Buick 350s until the AMC 360 made its way in there...I guess it depends on the vibe you want, as well as the performance and reliability aspect. I have no experience with the LS, and I have nothing against LS's but I know if I owned it I'd be quite proud to pop the hood and show off a healthy Buick 350. It'd be plenty reliable, will sound great, and these days, you might even call it "different" if that matters!

Anyway, looks great with those solid floors. I've always dug those interesting silverish-olive-gold paint blends from the late 60s/early 70s and I'm not sure which vote above would be best but something along the lines of that original color would looks sweet, in my opinion.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.