77 wagoneer dd

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

jpswapmohn

Re: 77 wagoneer dd

Post by jpswapmohn »

Well, they may have taken some parts, but they are pretty low profile. It looks like you shifted toward the door a bit. are the seats narrower than stock or are the seat rails in a different place? The jeep engineers definitely got creative in their mounts!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:Well, they may have taken some parts, but they are pretty low profile. It looks like you shifted toward the door a bit. are the seats narrower than stock or are the seat rails in a different place? The jeep engineers definitely got creative in their mounts!
The front of the inside track is very close to the trans tunnel by the 4Lo shifter. The seat itself has a pretty slim profile and isn't too wide, but the base is a lot bulkier than the stock brackets and sliders. I tucked it in there as tight as possible while keeping enough headroom. Plan A was using bench seat brackets and building a frame across the trans tunnel, but I would've had to cut a hole in the roof for my head! Once I get them wired up, I'll be able able to move the seat up and down to get it just right, but it's in a pretty good spot now. With all the hardware underneath, these seats are a lot heavier as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dave Knoerzer
1977 Wagoneer 360/400/QT stock as far as I can tell

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Got some more things done. I removed the factory heat and ac (planning on aftermarket unit) finally got the passenger seat mounted, replaced the muffler and cat, and started painting the sides. I'm just going to paint below the trim for a two-tone using rattle can paint. The next steps for the body are replacing the front fenders, fabricating rear flares, then rebuilding a tailgate. Inside I need to pull the cluster and go through the wiring a bit and get the cluster lights working, then cosmetic stuff like the headliner and door panels.

Took it for a short (10 mile) drive today to the gas station and it ran nice. Not sure if it's the spray-in insulation or the new muffler but it's actually quieter now without a headliner, door panels, or carpet than it was with full interior but rusted out rear corners and a icky muffler. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

The 2-tone look actually works with the thin woodgrain, like some of the older j-trucks came with.

I gotta have pictures of what you did to mount the passenger seat!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:The 2-tone look actually works with the thin woodgrain, like some of the older j-trucks came with.

I think I'd like to paint the roof white as well to help with heat, but I'll wait and see.

I'll get some pics of the passenger seat brackets. This side was trickier with the trans tunnel sticking out more, but it seemed to work out.
Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:The 2-tone look actually works with the thin woodgrain, like some of the older j-trucks came with.

Ok got some pics of the passenger seat mount. The front inside is bolted directly to the floor, just a bit over from where the factory bracket is, so it still utilizes the support piece under the floor. The other three mount points are factory holes as well. I basically bolted a plate to the seat base, another to the floor, then connected the dots with some pieces of angle. When they come back out to add insulation and carpet, I'd like to add some gussets to the brackets as well.ImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Got my center console in the mail today. It's from an 07-14 GM truck. I had the same thing in my 09 Suburban. Gives me top and bottom storage, front and rear cupholders, armrests, a center jump seat with belt, and a 12v outlet. Fits like a glove and matches perfectly with the seats, although the seat fabric is cloth not leather. Now I have to figure out how to bolt it down.ImageImageImageImageImage

Dave Knoerzer

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

That console really looks sharp in there, Dave! Nice choice!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

Chubbinius wrote:That console really looks sharp in there, Dave! Nice choice!
Thanks! It's really about a half inch too wide so it takes a little more effort to buckle the seat belt, but I'm happy with the fit and function.
Dave Knoerzer

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

I forgot to say... it passed emissions! For Indiana, it was just a visual on the gas gap, then they stick some sort of probe into the tail pipe while it idles (not the usual hose that goes over the exhaust tip like they use on newer cars. "The old girl's good for 2 more years" were the tech's exact words.

Good timing. I just blew a brake line on my suburban.
Dave Knoerzer

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Center console looks great!
Thanks for the mount pictures, too.

So did you have rear seat recovered or is that from something else as well?
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:Center console looks great!
Thanks for the mount pictures, too.

So did you have rear seat recovered or is that from something else as well?
Thanks. Rear seat is from an 05 or 06 Tahoe- 3rd Row. It fits in really nice, but I had to cut out the rear wheel wells, similar shape to the ones in j trucks I believe. This gave me the added bonus of being able to lay down 4 ft wide plywood in back as well. The seat is split 50/50 which makes it easier to handle if I need to remove it as well. Getting leather that matched the front seats and the console was just a combo of luck and patience.
Dave Knoerzer

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Sorry, I realized that was earlier in your thread.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
superdave

Post by superdave »

jpswapmohn wrote:Sorry, I realized that was earlier in your thread.
No worries!

Dave Knoerzer