83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Post by Hawkeye_Cherokee »

SO! I just got my 1983 Cherokee and have started a build planner but could use input/advice from experienced members and builders. Basically the simplified version of the plan is to swap the 360 for a gen III 5.3 with 4L60e trans and np241 t case. as for the body and interior im going all custom all the way. I will be hitting forums throughout the build and will try to keep a half ass detailed build thread going.

For starters I am looking for direction to a thread or just simply advice on where to start with the engine swap. obviously taking the 360 out is step one what im looking for is helpful DO's and DONT's

Also I cant get my pictures to post to this thread. even at the smallest size it says file size is too larger, any help?

1979bettywhite

Re: 83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Post by 1979bettywhite »

For picture uploading, use the Tapatalk app on your phone. Easiest way to get them uploaded with hardly any effort.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Here's my starting point ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5188

This is one being done on this forum. A lot of pictures. I follow it just for the knowledge.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Looks like a nice starting point. I can't see any rust from those pics. Should consider yourself lucky on that!

Also, I think someone was selling a set of Chief emblems in the for sale section that were in good shape. If you do not have yours of course.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

The floors have a few holes but nothing major. A little on the roof and side window panels but nothing that I shouldn't be able to handle

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

So far the jeep project is going AMAZING!!! I went to the county treasurer for new title and plates and was the only person there! Half hour in and out with new title and plates in hand and trust me that NEVER happens hopefully a sign of things to come. Hoping to get the neighbors engine hoist this weekend and pull the 360 and trans sunday!

will e

Post by will e »

Looks like a good starting point. The front clip removes pretty easy and will help with the swap work. May as well do that before you pull the 360 and all. Just to make it easier.

What are you planning on doing with the jeep once it is running? Daily driver, wheeling, camping or ??
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

will e wrote:Looks like a good starting point. The front clip removes pretty easy and will help with the swap work. May as well do that before you pull the 360 and all. Just to make it easier.

What are you planning on doing with the jeep once it is running? Daily driver, wheeling, camping or ??
Front clip came off last Friday. It's at the point where I just have to disconnect drive shafts and yank. I plan on having it be a reliable daily driver that I'm not scared to take on a long distance drive, and wont get stuck in a pothole. I do alot of hunting and fishing so there will be mild off roading but no big time wheeling.

will e

Post by will e »

Cool. While the leaf suspension isn't modern it does the trick. You can fit 33 inch tires with a 4" spring lift easy. Toss a locker on the front and you are good to go for mild to medium offroading. I don't know much about the Np241 but a web search said it is a 4 to 1 transfer case. This is probably more than what you need for your planned usage. You might find it better to have a 2.xx range case so you can put it in low when you hit the trails and keep it there. Use the calculator on grimmjeeper.com site to compare various driveline options. The 4l60e appears to have a pretty decent first gear so you may not need a 4 to 1 case.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

will e wrote:Cool. While the leaf suspension isn't modern it does the trick. You can fit 33 inch tires with a 4" spring lift easy. Toss a locker on the front and you are good to go for mild to medium offroading. I don't know much about the Np241 but a web search said it is a 4 to 1 transfer case. This is probably more than what you need for your planned usage. You might find it better to have a 2.xx range case so you can put it in low when you hit the trails and keep it there. Use the calculator on grimmjeeper.com site to compare various driveline options. The 4l60e appears to have a pretty decent first gear so you may not need a 4 to 1 case.
4 inch spring lift is definitely the plan. As far as the np241 goes my plan A is to go with a donor vehicle and it seems alot of the 5.3 donors have a 241 so i plan on it using the whole drive train rather than mix and match. If I end up buying engine trans and case separate I might not go 241. I dont have alot of mechanical knowledge but I have a pretty deep bench of helpers. Any advice on rear end? Mine has a Dana 20 and I've heard that the 20 is not the greatest and upgrading to Dana 44 would be worth it.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I believe you mean the AMC 20. In the full size Jeeps its not a bad rear end, although not as good as a 44. But for what you plan to do with the Jeep I think it would be fine. I have the AMC 20 in my CJ5 but in that application Jeep decided to use a two piece axle shaft, which is much weaker than the one they used in the 20 for the full size Jeep. The shafts in the 20 in your application are one piece.

I think you might consider gear ratio in your buildup. If you plan to run 33" or larger tires and you have the 2.73 ratio, you might find things to be very sluggish. You should see a tag on your 44 front cover indicating the ratio. If it is missing, the AMC 20 should have a stamp on the housing that indicates the ratio as well:

http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/amc20.html

While the stamping and the axle tag will have a ratio on them, nothing will beat actually removing the cover and counting teeth on the ring gear just to make sure. Probably a good idea anyway to clean the housings out (looking for pieces of metal), inspect everything and get some new fluid in them.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Ah I jus figured with the front being Dana the rear was too lol like I said I dont have much mechanical knowledge thats why this forum is going to be a life saver! My original plan was to take the rear out. Degrease and clean it then take it apart and regear and paint it up nice. The 44 idea jus came from a buddy that was checkin the jeep out. Being able to keep the rear end that is in it now would be ideal for cost and time, and also less brake hassle. Thanks for the amount of input you have given me already! It's exactly what I need for this build

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

The AMC is pretty recognizable in that the pumpkin is perfectly round and the cover has no indentations as well. I will say that if you do remove the cover to replace the fluid, I would not take anything apart internally. Just rotate the carrier and inspect all the teeth of the ring gear. If everything looks fine, I would leave things be. Sometimes with these older jeeps, the first line of defense is actually to determine if there IS any fluid to actually produce a leak, lol. If there is and there are no leaks then consider yourself lucky. Check around the pinion on the front of the pumpkin to make sure the seal there is not leaking. Also, if you do pull the cover, you might be looking at a broken bolt or two in the process. AMC used a torx bolt to fasten the cover to the housing, and they can be a bear to remove if they have never been off before. So have the penetrating lube handy. You can spray the bolt head as well as the thread on the backside of the housing as the hole runs all the way through. When you do get them out, I recommend replacing them with a quality hex bolt to not have to ever deal with those issues again. And follow the required torque specs (think somewhere in the mid-20s ft lbs). Last but not least, the gasket on the AMC is a little funky as it actually sits in a recess that is smaller in diameter than the cover. This can be prone to leaking as it is tough to get it in there and have it stay. Also some of the gaskets out there are just a little off on the size, allowing it to bow somewhat. Some people just throw the gasket out and RTV the cover and be done with it. But when the cover is off, inspect the cover to make sure all the contact points with the housing are fairly straight. If not, a flat surface and some light taps with a mallet etc will straighten it back out.

Last point I will make and maybe should have made first. You have a pretty solid vehicle in that one, so outside of stumbling across better parts etc. I would use it as it is. I doubt very seriously for what you are talking about using it for that you will be prone to breaking anything etc. I would focus on getting everything cleaned up and replacing high wear parts and enjoy it. Would having a 44 rear be a nice upgrade? Sure, but it won't detract from the smiles you are still going to get without it. If you do happen to stumble across good parts, then do like the rest of us and stock up on them, lol.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Stumbling across good parts is unfortunately not very likely lol I live in iowa and any of these old fsj's that I have found are rotten. BUT nothing is hurt by keeping an eye out!

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

So the motor and trans came out today! Also spent some time cutting the exhaust out. Now it's time to find a donor vehicle for the 5.3 swap and start some serious planning. Anyone got advice on gas tank and fuel system? I've read a few thread jus looking for "best direction" type advice. I'm planning on getting the lift leafs and shocks too so I can have my ride height where I want it during the swap. At this point any advice is welcome. I also have a 360 motor, 727 trans, and I think 228 case for sale if anyone needs one PM me I will be throwing it on craigslist also.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Horrible weather meant no hunting this morning so I pulled all the seats out. The front seats were junk seats from a Ford or something but the rear folding seat is actually the original orange jeep seat so I plan to clean it up and keep it. With the interior stripped I'm now dreading having to take out all the dynamat the entire floor is covered in it!!!

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Heat gun. Why do you want to take it all out? Rust issues?

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Ya. The guy said the floor was good. Said he did POR15 and then dynamat on the whole floor but....its not good lol needs holes patched

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

haha. Understand. How bad are the holes?